Saturday, January 7, 2012

Collage Doodling

Hi. Jane Davies here. I want to share with you some of the "doodling" I do. My mediums of choice are collage and paint, so line does not come easily to me. Though, like most people, I doodle while on the phone or in a meeting with a pen on whatever paper is accessible, but for my art practice I do a sort of collage doodle. Here are a couple of examples:

In the first phase of doodling (below) I just gather a group of papers and start tearing and pasting (using acrylic matte medium) without thinking about composition or meaning. This is a time to get loose and play. I do this in my sketchbook because otherwise it feels like a "piece" I have to finish or resolve in some way.

Then I do something to it. On this doodle I squirted out some Pyrrole Orange (Golden Fluid Acrylic) and then blotted it against the facing page in the sketchbook:


This is the facing page, which also had a collage and paint doodle on it:


Here is another collage doodle. I used my hand-painted paper, some magazine paper, joss paper, and a piece of the paper that covers my work table (the circle):


I painted over parts of the page, then used fine-point markers to do a little line work:

On this one I started spare:


But ended up doing my usual overkill of layering:

This kind of playing is absolutely essential to my art practice. It keeps the creative gears well oiled, and it keeps my eye in shape. It also is a practice that silences the inner critic. And, as many of you may well know, this does take practice! I like to consider doodling in the broad sense of playing around with visual stuff. It doesn't have to be drawing on paper!

16 comments:

  1. Love your doodles and your artistic approach.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've opened my eyes to a new way of Doodling! Thank you! Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a great way to approach this theme Jane! I am going to give this a go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very relaxing.This is close to what I do when I want to relax.Fun too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always love your collages, Jane. It's amazing all the variety you can achieve just using scraps of paper and paint!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wouldn't have thought of "doodling" with collage. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really love what you wrote here - it gives words to how I feel. Thanks!
    Blessings,
    Tricia

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I love these!! So simple and so beautiful. I can't wait to try it myself!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really like the first two collages, the orange pattern is bold and draws interest to the background.

    I'l going to try some collage doodles as a cover page for my sketchbook :D ...thanks for the lovely idea.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This was SO interesting. Last year I began experimenting with collage but often feel that if I don't have a "plan" or specific goal, it's unproductive so I do nothing. I don't know how many times I have to read "you have permission to play, to try, to just do it:" before I believe it! Thanks for this....

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your take on doodling. Thanks, Jane! I'm so glad to see that the idea of doodling was interpreted in your own way.

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOVE this! Thanks for sharing here :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great idea cant wait to try it

    ReplyDelete
  14. Doodling with collage is the BEST! Love your take on it, Jane! Thanks for posting, Diana!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm a collage doodler as well, but I usually can't leave it alone, and then I end up adding paint marks, charcoal lines, or scribbles here and there with ink. But I enjoy starting out with the collage and layering thereafter. Fun!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.