Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Doodle Drawing

Carol here.
And I am so glad to be here for another fantastic year of the Sketchbook Challenge!
I am totally loving the first theme too. One of my favorite things to do is draw, especially doodle type drawing so this theme is right up my alley.
Those that know me or read my blog know that my handsome husband is a college baseball umpire. I go to a lot of ball games...oftentimes longggg boring ball games.
But I always carry my travel art kit with me so I can entertain myself during times like that.
A couple or three years ago, I began drawing my own journal pages.
I guess it's a bit like an art journal in that I experiment with different mediums, pens and such. But it's also like a writing journal as well. I try to leave room to write more than just a word or two.
I've kept a journal since I was in middle school (a really long time ago) so I love having a decorated page to capture my thoughts.
I usually begin with a single 8 1/2" x 11" piece of  Wausau Exact Vellum Bristol. I buy mine at Office Depot locally but you can order it online as well.
I love, love using Faber Castel Pitt Artist Pens for my drawings that I am going to add any acrylic or watercolor to.
No smudging, no bleeding.
I don't receive any money or product for this, I am only telling you what I personally use in my artwork.

I usually fold the paper in half before beginning to draw. This does two things for me - it eases my mind by not having to fill an entire blank page with marks as well as making it very simple to stitch these pages into a handmade journal later.
And I have four total pages to embellish!

Here's a couple of my doodle pages.
I've used a combination of watercolors and acrylics to add a punch of color to the images.



They are all very simple line drawings embellished with tiny dots and circles.
After the drawing is complete (or I get bored with it), I add the journaling lines to the remaining space on the page. It's fun to break up the space by adding several smaller text boxes.

I hope that you're all being resolute in sketching this year! I'm currently trying out a new sketchbook paper.
I'll let you know how it's working for me after I give it a really good try.

Don't forget to check out the Flickr group offerings as well.

Get your sketch on!

8 comments:

  1. I like the text boxes, It gives room for reusing the doodle at a later date!
    I took several small breaks making a zentangle at work today... it's relaxing and a rest for the eyes as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I love the text boxes done like that! I will be using them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow...so you doodle pages for a journal and then when you get a good amount of doodled pages you bind them together and THEN use them as a journal? Wow!! This would be a great present...something I could just all year long and then put pages together for the final project!

    Thanks so much for the fantastic idea!:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. awesome! I love the quality of depth of the colored pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is wonderful! I didn't want to to this month's theme until I read your post. What a great great idea to draw the text boxes and add some decor art.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Carol thanks for the inspiration - better late than never huh? I will be in a seminar all weekend and I am making a book with lots of signatures starting in a few days...I can start decorating the pages this weekend mwah-ah-ah-ah
    Lori W at Art Camp for Women dot com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those text boxes are sooo easy! Just outline the shape that your paint left - no need to over think it!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.