Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Doodlie Doodlie Do Grids

Hi Everybody, Jill K. Berry here, with some doodling ideas for you.

One idea that really works for me is to grid out a page in my journal, making spaces about 1-3" square.
Wherever you are, try to draw small doodles that represent the things around you, in just a few lines. This is just such a page in one of my journals.

I was in a house that was full of art and fun people. I used a soft pencil, made little squares, and drew details of the things I could see. Most of them are menial (not Pam, Becky or Lisa!) and are mainly patterns, or small interesting shapes.

This is a no-pressure practice doodle. It is forgiving since they are so tiny and only parts of things. It takes only a minute to do but you are learning both to see and design, since each one is a also a small exercise in composition. Try coloring part of the doodle with one solid color. Mine are just shaded with pencil.

What I love about this practice is you can grid pages head of time, and not pressure yourself even to fill a whole page at one time. Take your time. Notice the small stuff.

I spent one day at the pool watching kids swim, and doing these doodles with a Pitt Marker.

Notice I also made a palette of the marker colors between the grid spaces. This was for two reasons. One is to remember what colors I used. The other was to add a break for the eye. Notice the squares to the left of the palette are smaller than the rest of them.

One of these days I am going to do a journal that lasts all year, just based on these tiny grids. Maybe that time is here!


  1. I can attest that this is a simple and super fun way to doodle and sketch. And I learned that from Jill!

  2. Great idea for the grid drawings - easy, not overwhelming, but really fun. Inspiring. Love the one in color with swimming!

  3. Terrific idea - especially for those of us that are challenged to find 'time' to sketch. Thanks for sharing.

  4. Very nice! I love doodling in a grid format. Quick and easy. I call mine thumbnail doodles.

  5. What a great idea - thumbnail sketches!

  6. I love this idea. Want to try this out.

  7. Great idea Jill! I have been making larger grids but I like the small ones too.


Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.