Saturday, January 14, 2012

Ink Doodles

Jane Davies here. I've been playing around with another kind of doodle: the Ink Doodle. I use a pipette or eye-dropper to squeeze a little sumi ink out onto my sketchbook page, and then lift the sketchbook and move it around to manipulate the ink. Once the ink is dry (sometimes this takes overnight) I go back in with paint or collage.

On this one I drew with Inktense pencils after the sumi ink was dry, and moved it around with a brush dipped in water.

Then I added more watercolor from a tube (quinacridone gold) and scraped it out with a credit card. I also wet some of the original black ink and scraped it.

This one started with a very simple ink doodle over encaustic gesso, which is an acrylic-based gesso that produces a very absorbent surface. Then I painted with more sumi ink and watercolor, and added two collage bits.

This ink doodle is done over a few collage elements which are covered with encaustic gesso:

Another example of collage, ink, and watercolor:

And finally, an ink doodle over a painted page:

I posted a video on my blog in which I demonstrate the collage, encaustic gesso, and ink doodle technique. There are a few more examples over there as well. Enjoy!

15 comments:

  1. Jane--you are always so innovative. I adore the black lines of these drippy works. They're so bold and interesting, especially when layered over your collage. These really appeal to me! I will have to see if I can make a digital drip. That would be awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are wonderful doodles, really inspirational, they make me want to to dash out and get my paints out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Overnight?? I have no patience. LOL The results are great however.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a great idea. I might try this as well. I love to doodle with inks. I started my sketchbook doodles with inchies & letters:

    http://jademondin.wordpress.com/2012/01/14/sketchbook-challenge/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, thank you! I think you just handed me the technique I've been searching for to complete my Local Color January bookmark.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Jane, these *really* resonate with me. Just gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a different doodle look. I'm missing an ingredient to try, but it makes me want to play-right.now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, All. You definitely don't have to use ink that takes a long time to dry, McMGrad89. Use liquid watercolor, and then get your hair dryer out!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the look. Thanks for the ideas Jane.

    ReplyDelete
  10. These ink doodles are really calling my name - so fabulous!! Amazing work!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I remember trying this with watercolor. I did not like the results and went back to doing something I knew I could do well. (I do tend to give up when I don’t like the first results.)

    Now I will try again, seeing your work!

    ReplyDelete
  12. If you use watercolor rather than ink, definitely work on an absorbent surface like watercolor paper or encaustic gesso (see my video on Collage Journeys). If your paper is coated with acrylic paint or medium, the watercolor will just sit there and take forever to dry, and then the color will be washed out. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I LOVE the look of this technique! Can't wait to try it. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love this Jane. Reading through your posts always makes me feel like playing. Off to watch that video now.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for the video, it was fun and inspiring.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.