Saturday, February 11, 2012

In Your Face

Hi All,
Pam Carriker here and loving this months challenge! Right off I knew I wanted to pull out details of a portrait and examine them 'Up Close and Personal'.
I started with a rough sketch and pulled out the details to do separate, up close, sketches of them

Next I used some water soluble graphite to do some washes over the sketch

I sectioned off the 'up close' details by drawing boxes around them and continued to add layers of water soluble graphite getting progressively darker

Water soluble graphite makes for quick sketching and I love to layer it with some cross hatching from a regular pencil


  1. I really enjoyed your Pursuing Portraits online class!

  2. Beautiful demonstration of process. Thanks for this.

  3. Thanks for sharing this and the close up are really helpful to see seperated form the over all face.

  4. Love this look inside the process Pam.


Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.