Thursday, March 8, 2012

abstract watercolor flowers

Sue B here...  I've been playing a bit with my watercolors this week and fell onto an easy way to create watercolor images that have the suggestion of flowers...


I started by applying a wash of water to my sketchbook page and then dropping in some splotches of watercolor paint:


Covered it with a piece of plastic wrap and pressed it onto the surface:


I waited a few minutes and then pulled the plastic wrap off and the result was the first image at the top of this post.  Here's a couple more that I did:




I think I may go back in and add some details with a black pen on these...

17 comments:

  1. These are lovely. I like the lightness. It's a great idea and one I'll have fun with, I'm sure. It certainly will bring spring into the studio today.
    Thanks,
    Julie-Anne

    www.julie-annemcdonald.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, WOW! I love this. I'm going to try it! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun idea. They'd make great backgrounds for journaling!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd try details with a sepia pen myself. Black with those vibrant colours seems almost too much. Looks like a lot of fun and and totally something that could be done with kids

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow what a cool simple idea -- thanks --

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the great feedback everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are really cool! I've got to try this too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. If you do add lines, please be sure to re-post. These are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very nice! Lifting the plastic before the paint dried seems to have left a softer effect. I wish there was a way to do that on fabric - for wearables, that is.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks like such fun! I hope to find some time to try it out.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the idea -- I'm going to have to give this a try!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just had to try this out. A bit tooo wet but the idea came through. Thank you for showing this.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sue,

    What a super idea, going to have go tommorow.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Have never thought of using this technique with watercolour paints, thank you for sharing these are beautiful little paintings :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. These are lovely! I tried a couple last night and was delighted to discover that it really is as easy as it looks (once you know how, of course!). Thanks, Sue.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.