Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Flower Hot House

Susan Sorrell-During the Winter months, I took a road trip to Biltmore House to take photos in their hot house. Biltmore is a huge estate in Asheville, NC that was built by George Vanderbilt in 1895. It has around 8,000 acres of land surrounding the house and it a wonderful place to explore during all seasons.


In addition to keeping a sketchbook of images, a lot of times I use my camera for a photo book to get inspirations. Using these photos, I might make rubber stamp designs, drawings, paintings or fiber pieces. 


One plant that caught my eye was this one with the pinkish buds. I forgot to write the name down, so next road trip I will have to remember and take notes.  

 I love the close up shot of this plant and thought it would make and interesting embroidery. 


Since I seem to be doing more embroidery and encaustics, I decided to make some sketches of some of the other leaves and plants I might consider using in some future pieces. 

Here are 2 line drawings that will make cool encaustic subjects for a group show I am doing in 2013. 






I find it is easy to make quick line drawings and then go back and look at the photos if I need more details. I have to remind myself not to get caught up in the details when I am doing my sketches! I would be there for hours drawing one leaf or flower! 






No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.