Friday, March 2, 2012

Special Guest Profile: Dale Rollerson

Dale Rollerson is a textile artist and owner of The Thread Studio.  She has authored several books including Let's Play With Walnut Ink and Let's Play With Sari Ribbon.



 I am passionate about all areas of textile art and try to be as cutting edge as I can. I enjoy machine and hand stitching, developing ideas using a needle felting machine and playing and experimenting with all manner of textiley stuff. read more here...





Why do you keep a sketchbook and how often do you work in it?
I am not what one would call a sketch person – I have had books of various sorts all my life – for basics like list of must do, might do, have to do etc. I write, doodle, cut and paste, and all those sorts of things, every day. They are everywhere in our house but it is a great pleasure to find one and see what is in it. 



Do you work in just one at a time or do you have several going at once?
I have lots of books – because I work in themes I will have a few books somewhere for each theme – there are always a few tiny ones in my handbag, and several in my back pack for when I am traveling, and some in my studio and some throughout the house. I might jot down words, write in recipes, draw few lines. Glue in a bit of stuff – but I like to keep things fairly compartmentalized. That is just me.

What's your preferred format (sketchbook size, type of paper, single sheet, spiral bound etc?) and preferred medium for using in your sketchbook? watercolor, pen, pencil, crayon, collage etc?
I like books – I love working with the khadi rag books for wet work, stitch, collage type things. I am not good with loose papers and have quite a collection of different sketch books – usually when I am away I buy another one or two in case I cannot find the one I have with me. I use whatever media I have with me – oil sticks for rubbings, watercolour, pens, sprays – basically what I have on me at the time. The trouble is, the way I work with lots of experimenting, it is always hard deciding what media to use. But I do select in colour themes to match my personal working themes so I will gather everything together and remove a few.
 

What advice do you have for someone who wants to keep a sketchbook but doesn't know how to begin?
It is very difficult telling others what to do and there is lots of advice out there. I am not a natural drawer and have to make myself work at it but I think it is important to keep notes of where you are at. I always have holiday journals where I jot down words, try to do some quick drawings, spray the pages with colour, glue stuff down. It is a good way to start and a wonderful book to find later on when you get home because it will inspire you and bring back memories of where you were. It does not need to be seen by anyone else so it can be your personal thing.

Anything else you'd like to add?
Don’t be intimidated by what you see – there are some fabulous sketch books out there which frighten me – I make myself enjoy looking at them but remember that I am me, being me and not wanting to be someone else.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.