Saturday, March 10, 2012

Special Guest Profile: Jeannie Palmer Moore


  Jeannie Palmer Moore is a mixed media artist who 
constantly explores new techniques and materials on a variety of 
surfaces. She prefers to dye her own fabrics for her art quilts. 
Quilting Arts, Quilting Arts GIFTS, Cloth, Paper, Scissors and 
Quilt Scene Magazines have published numerous quilts and 
articles about Jeannie in the past 4 years. You can also see 
Jeannie on Quilting Arts TV Series 700 and soon her own video 
will be available. Most recently Jeannie was selected as an artist 
for the Seasonal Palette SAQA sponsored exhibition. She plans 
to teach again this year for CREATE Irvine, New Jersey and Chicago.


Leslie here.  I met Jeannie Palmer Moore several years ago at the first-ever International Quilt Festival in Long Beach California.  Initially captivated by the painterly aesthetic of her mixed-media quilts, I soon learned that her work spans a wide variety of media.  Jeannie's background includes a BA in graphic design and illustration, and she has numerous awards for her watercolor and mixed media work in addition to her textile constructions.
Recently, I was one table over from Jeannie at a week-long independent study.  I noticed how she made drawings in her journal to illustrate the set-up for a fabric steamer and decided to ask her if she would allow me to feature her on our blog.


Why do you keep a sketchbook and how often do you work in it?

I mostly sketch in my sketchbook while traveling to capture the 
charm of each destination and for ideas for future artwork. 
Do you work in just one at a time or do you have several going at 
once? I work in different sized sketchbooks all at one time. One 
is for travel, one for workshop notes and one to formulate/ 
sketch designs for quilts. 


Do you differentiate between a sketchbook and an art journal? 

Not really, since I journal between and around my drawings. 



How do you use your sketchbook? For example, do you use it to 
make studies for larger pieces, for experimenting with 
materials, to practice drawing, or for making beautiful pages as 
artworks in themselves? 

Since I take my sketchbook with me 
while attending workshops or traveling I incorporate my 
doodling with my notes. Sometimes I find it easier to draw the 
procedure or  try new products and make notes for later 
reference. I sometimes like to use the sketchbooks for drawing 
out quilt designs. 


What's your preferred format (sketchbook size, type of paper, 
single sheet, spiral bound etc?) and preferred medium for using 
in your sketchbook? watercolor, pen, pencil, crayon, collage etc? 

I work usually with 3 different sketchbooks- 5x8 moleskin, 7x10 
watercolor spiral and a 7x10 drawing paper spiral. I initially use 
a pencil or fine black marker for the sketch and then color in 
with watercolor pencils or markers. 


How is your sketchbook different from your art-that-is-not-in- 
the-sketchbook? Is there anything about working in your 
sketchbook that is different from working on pieces that are not 
in your sketchbook? 

I would say that my sketchbooks are filled 
with ideas that can be used to inspire other projects. My real 
passion is fabric and my sketchbooks are filled with designs that 
can be combined or stand alone as possible art quilts. 



What advice do you have for someone who wants to keep a 
sketchbook but doesn't know how to begin?  

Just start doodling and making notes and not worrying about a finished or perfect 
product. When I travel I add stickers or tickets, favorite 
restaurants/meals, etc on the pages.  It’s your sketchbook so no 
one else has to see it-- it’ll evolve over time with your 
personality. 





Website: JPMArtist.com 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.