Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Open book, open mind

Susan Brubaker Knapp here with two more sketches on the theme “open.” I have always found it very valuable to brainstorm. Here are a few more phrases that came to mind when I started thinking about this month’s theme:
  • open door
  • open window
  • open space
  • open house
  • open season
  • open mind
  • open book
  • open-ended
  • open mic(rophone)
  • open water
  • open bar
  • open sesame
  • open-toed (shoes)
  • open access
  • open hands
  • open heart
  • open heart surgery
Today, I decided to put two of these ideas – open mind, and open book – together. The sketch at the top of this post is the result. I am wondering if I need to add more of the squiggly tentacle things, or if I should have left them out altogether. The sketch may sit and brew for a while while I ponder this.

But again, I am loving the process of sketching type. 

I also started thinking about things that open, or devices that help us to open things, like zippers. This sketch is of my blue hooded jacket:

I love how sketching helps me slow down and look at the intricate details that are in front of my nose every day, and usually escape my notice.

4 comments:

  1. Fantastic zipper...I have to try that. And of course as a librarian you know your Open a Book speaks to me! Beautiful work Susan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this Susan! So cheerful! And of course, there is the zipper, my favorite. I love the fact that your artwork is so crisp and colorful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your art, especially the words. Man, you are so darn talented. WOW! Aloha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautifully rendered images. I love the Open Book idea, too. Thank you for sharing all your ideas!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.