Saturday, April 28, 2012

Open for Interpretation

Hi Everyone, Pam Carriker here and I thought I'd share some things I've been playing with that are outside my comfort zone. I think it's important to test yourself and be open to trying new things as an artist. Even if it's just as an exercise.
Normally I love to sketch faces.

And to stretch myself I'll switch up the media I'm working with. These are from my charcoal sketchpad. Charcoal was not a favorite when I did the sketch above, several months ago. 
But as I made myself revisit it periodically, I became more open to it and find myself loving it now. 
I have found it wonderful for doing a quick sketch and I am far more comfortable with it now.
 Harder still for me, is to be open to a new subject. I tend to draw faces, faces, faces, but I need to draw other things as well. The absolute hardest thing for me personally is to draw or paint abstracts. It is totally out of my comfort zone. I remember in high school art class how much I struggled with what should have been easy! They key is to be open to interpretation. It doesn't have to look exactly like the thing you're drawing from!

 So I began to play with a little cubism feel to some simple still life inspiration.
 I'm still not sure if I like them, but it did feel good to open up the door and head in a different direction for this exercise!


  1. I agree that we all need to push ourselves to try new things, to revisit old struggles, to be open.

    But you said, "I struggled with what should have been easy." Surely you didn't mean that abstraction is easy!

  2. looks really good! I really like these :)

  3. I should have worded that differently, I get now that abstraction is hard! When I was in school though, it looked like it should be easier than making something look like some 'thing'.

  4. Thanks Pam for sharing your sketches. I have never in done anything but stick people, lines, boxes circles and .....I dared many moons ago until now....I am open to give it try....Judith, Texas

  5. I really liked your abstracts. I find them hard too but I am coming to grips with them with more practice I do.

  6. these are great Pam, I especially like the cubism one.

  7. I can relate to your portraits in charcoal - I love drawing people using charcoal, I seem to be able to capture the essence of the person more so with charcoal than I can with any other medium.
    I've never come to terms with abstract art, but I do like your experiments with cubism!


Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.