Friday, April 27, 2012

Open Iron Work

Susan Sorrell-I was in Charleston SC this week and have been waiting to do my post after I got home. I have a love for iron gates and architectural findings. I don't care if they are rusted or brand new. I guess it is the lines the blacksmith can make by bending iron and creating these lovely pieces of art for a home.

When April's theme was announced, all I could keep thinking about was the "openings" of these gates and the negative/positive spaces. 

Most of the homes are ornate and have beautiful gardens and you can peek through the openings to see all the elaborate architecture. You are looking at homes that were built in the 1700's and still stand today. 

I decided for my sketching experience was to find an interesting alley or home and draw what I saw through the opening. Here is one of my sketches....

I think these people where using their alley way to store stuff. :)


  1. I love the ironwork on all the old gates in Charleston!

  2. I do too! I would love to ramble through their gardens and graveyards too! ;)

  3. I have some photos with iron gates, I want to try to draw them. Best wishes!

  4. King Iron Works

    You have share the great info. I like your post. Thanks for sharing the good points. I will recommend this info.


Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.