Monday, April 9, 2012

Open Spaces

Hi everyone!
Carol Sloan here.

I volunteer at the local library near my home, in Greenville SC.
We have a fantastic gift shop there called "Friends of the Library" that carries a lot of gently used books, gift items, postcards and such.
Our volunteer coordinator, Amy, has wonderful taste in purchasing (much to the chagrin of my husband ) (and the husbands of the other female library workers) and keeps all of us looking, buying and volunteering there.
I usually take several things to occupy my time while I am there for my weekly morning shift.
Some days I do computer work.
Other days I read a book.
Sometimes I crochet.
This week I drew.
I had the overwhelming urge to sketch while sitting there.

The view was limited from my perch in the small shop but I found this open space enticing.

Our main library is a beautiful open structure with sweeping a sweeping staircase, an abundance of light, a small cafe with a gourmet menu as well as a huge rotating globe that spans almost two levels.

I love the open spaces that they designed into the space - comfy (yet aesthetically pleasing) chairs and plenty of work type tables scattered around.

It's the second largest library in the state.

It's nestled into a corner with the Children's Museum of the Upstate, Greenville County Museum of Art and the Greenville Little Theater around (and in front of) it.

Notice the space around you today - make sketching it a priority in your life.
You will be surprised at how much your skills improve if you draw just a little bit each day!



2 comments:

  1. You've made me want to look at the Open Spaces at our library with a fresh eye. Great sketch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! Thanks for the encouragement to keep sketching!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.