Saturday, April 21, 2012

opening a new sketchbook

Sue B here...  I decided to approach this months theme by opening up a new sketchbook and prepping all the pages for some doodles and sketches to be added later.  I started by using my bind it all to make a new spiral bound sketchbook using some pieces of watercolor paper that were left over from other book making projects.  I trimmed them all to be the same height and then bound them into a book:



Then I filled a jar with water and broke out my favorite watercolors and brushes and just started splashing color onto the pages.


I didn't even wait for the pages to dry before moving onto the next one.  I like to do this because to me, nothing is more daunting than a plain white piece of paper.


Getting some color onto the pages first gives me a background to build up from later and I never have that plain white page staring back at me when I open the book.  This is also a great way to get your creative juices flowing when you're in a creative dry spell. 





Once I was done, I opened a bottle of Iridescent medium that I bought ages ago but never got around to using and went back and added a swipe here and there to some random pages just to add a little shimmer.  I have to say this is a pretty cool product and now that the bottle is open I don't expect it to stay full for very long.  It adds a nice hint of glimmer to the page.  You can mix it into your paint or brush it on afterwards which is what I did.

Now I have a new prepped sketchbook filled with colorful pages that will inspire me each time I open it to a new page to sketch, doodle or collage over.


9 comments:

  1. Love this exercise re preparation - it not only prepares a new sketchbook but also jumpstarts the creative mind. Plan to do that on a new book today. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing, I have been collecting goodies and paper and couldnt seem to figure out where to start, this sounds good..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its' a great way to get going without any particular format in mind - like a creative exercise.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like this idea. It may inspire me to start instead of just lurk.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like preparing sketchbooks first but usually just use white gesso....perhaps now I will try colour...thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this idea! I often get that blank white page fear you describe. This will really help with that - thanks!!

    Sarah
    http://acatlikecuriosity.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/sketchbook-challenge-open.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a cool idea! I love it. You have given me the urge to go out and buy a sketchbook of my own and do something similar. Thanks for the concept!

    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for all the great comments everyone - I'm so happy to know that I've inspired some of you to open your sketchbooks too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love how you prepared with an uncertainty of what each one will become. Enjoy

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.