Saturday, May 12, 2012

digital fruit sketches

Sue B here...

Inspired by Kelli's digital sketching I have been experimenting with some sketching apps on my Ipad.  I've tried out a bunch of them but have been frustrated by how complex some of them are until I tried Paper by FiftyThree.  I downloaded the free version to try it out and ended up buying the complete version a few hours later.  I like it because it's simple to use, has a limited color and tool palette and doesn't have a lot of bells and whistles to navigate through.   Here's a few of the quick fruit sketches I did with it:

The app lets you email the sketches as .jpg's (which is what I did to transfer them to my Mac) or you can post them to your camera roll,  facebook, twitter or tumblr. Now that these are on my Mac I can print them out onto any substrate I want.

I love avocado's, but gosh they are a challenge to sketch!



I should mention that I'm using a Pogo sketch stylus with my Ipad to do these sketches.  

 I'll never give up my real watercolors and paper sketchbooks but I'm definitely warming to digital sketching.  I think it's because there's less pressure when working on a piece of digital paper than on a piece of real paper. 

7 comments:

  1. Sue you didn't identify yourself on this post. The simplicity of these sketches is very appealing. Thanks for the info on the app and stylus too.
    www.julie-annemcdonald.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. whoops! thanks for pointing that out Julie-Anne - I added my name to the post :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are having way too much fun with that app. I like the sketches.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree about the lack of pressure with digital sketching - so much easier to rub out and start again.

    I did my own digital sketch of a pear this week.

    Sarah
    http://acatlikecuriosity.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/sketchbook-challenge-fruits-and-veggies.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. oooh, I'm inspired since I do everything on my ipad now including my blog (you know about the blogsy app, right?) I have several drawing apps and a cool drawing pen so may start playing with it. I did download this app and will try it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sarah your digital sketch is terrific!

    Sandra thanks for that blogsy tip, I didn't know about that app.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sarah, I like your digital sketching very much. I use artrage4 on my iMac with a wacom tablet. I have used the program for drawing not much for sketching, yet.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.