Sunday, May 27, 2012

Fruiting Bodies

Carol Sloan here.

I didn't really want to draw or paint a piece of fruit or vegetable (even though I like them).
I didn't know what to do I decided to look up the definition of "fruit" and was kinda surprised at what I read as the first entry.
This is from


  [froot]  Show IPA noun, plural fruits, especiallycollectively fruit, verb
any product of plant growth useful to humans or animals.
the developed ovary of a seed plant with its contents andaccessory parts, as the pea pod, nut, tomato, or pineapple.
the edible part of a plant developed from a flower, with any accessory tissues, as the peach, mulberry, or banana.
the spores and accessory organs of ferns, mosses, fungi,algaeor lichen.
anything produced or accruing; product, result, or effect;return or profit: the fruits of one's labors.

I always thought of a fruit as, well, a fruit.
Not as "any product of plant growth useful to humans or animals". 
I thought that was interesting.

But then my eye settled on the number two definition.
Ahhh...much more pleasing to my "I want to draw something" eye.
Then I recalled a page in one of my sketchbooks where I had done several sketches of "fruiting bodies".

Then I found another one that included several stages of a fruiting body as well as a lavender plant.

I often, quite often actually, get so interested in a particular shape that I can't seem to quit drawing it...I'll spare you the "fruiting body" phase I just went through though.

I hope that you all are exercising your creative muscles!
Don't forget to take your sketchbook with you on every trip outside of the just never know when you're going to have a spare minute to draw something.

1 comment:

  1. Love the Fruiting Bodies! Very appealing shapes, and they DO lend themselves well to repetition!


Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.