Monday, May 7, 2012




Hello all, Jill K. Berry here. This is a magical hanging card that I designed for my mother for Mother's Day. It is based on the layered vellum technique I developed a number of years ago for my journals and classes, and is used in the first two projects of my book, Personal Geographies. I love seeing the layers of color, how using see through paper adds dimension and in this case, when you hang it in a window, you get a big surprise! You can use doodles, Zentangles, a journal page, nearly anything for the base of this project.

I am going to try one with fruits and veggies for me, just to celebrate Spring!

Supplies:
Illustration, the base of the project on white paper
3 pieces of clear vellum paper
Pitt Markers (you can actually use most any marker, I just like these.
Waterproof Markers
2 pieces cardboard, 8" square
Cutting tool and mat
Washi Tape, paper, ribbon, anything for the border.
ribbon for hanging, about 12"

Let's get started!

First I found a book on henna tattoo designs, because is offers all sorts of hand and heart designs, and my mom likes those.


I used this heart template to sketch a very light pencil line on white paper,


and filled it with designs inspired by the Mehndi illustrations. My finished heart is about 6" wide.

Now I need my markers and vellum.

Using one piece of vellum, trace some of the elements in your drawing with the waterproof marker. I decided to trace the hand.

When you are finished, set that piece of vellum aside and use one other to trace other elements. I traced the heart and some leaves on the second one.

One the third piece, trace the remaining elements, then stack all three pieces and press up against a window to see if you have traced the full design.

Now you will start to color the vellum with the Pitt Markers.
You can color the front or the back of any of the pages. Make sure you let them dry completely before stacking them together, so the marker does not smudge.

I colored the back of page 1 (the hand) and the front of page 2 (the heart and leaves) and the front of page 3.
Use the original drawing to check the coloring areas.

When you are done, press all three pages up against a window again to check for completion.

To finish up, tape the original heart outline to one cardboard piece.


Cut out the heart shape from the center of both pieces of cardboard.
Stack the three vellum pages together and adhere with double stick tape to each other. Then put the stack between the two pieces of cardboard. Edge with washi tape, paper or ribbon.

Make a hole at the top center and insert a piece of ribbon.

It will look like this when against a surface.
It will look like this when you hang it in a window. Surprise!



8 comments:

  1. Wow this is really nice, great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW, Jill! This is gorgeous, and what a great Mother's Day gift!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea and gorgeous design. I'm going to have to give this one a try. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. beautiful, Jill. I love how it would hang in the window!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful! Thank you for the clear details on your lovely card for your mother. Mow very special.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you all, it was fun. I want to do one now with sliced citrus. Wouldn't that be refreshing in the window? Sent it off to Mom, hope she likes it. Moms sort of have to like it don't they?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jill, this is so inspiring. Love the technique and I agree with Jane Davies that this is a perfect Mother's Day gift. Thank you for sharing. I look forward to seeing the fruits and veggie version.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.