Friday, May 25, 2012


(Lyric here) It doesn't take much time to open your sketchbook and just play. Don't wait until you have the perfect sketchbook or brushes and paints. Don't wait until you have an uniterrupted hour of free time. 

Just DO it!
watercolors and colored pencils (just the cheap crayola kind!)
plain sketchbook paper
5 minutes.


  1. Five minutes!! It was more like a tortured hour for me! I used a pack of watercolour pencils, which I've not had much experience with. The result was just 'okay' but I think it would have been better if I'd used acrylic paint, which I've been playing with lately, and getting some nice results. But to me, sketching means pencils, so I will persist!

  2. Your comments are SO true! Nice job with el cheapo materials, lol! Just DO IT!

  3. Lately I have little ATC size papers ready and I try not to let a day go by without doing one. That's not big art, but if the day has gotten away from me I can count on that much art to happen. Once you see the collection grow you are hooked. Art happens when you "just do it". Thanks, it is always good to be reminded of that.

  4. Did apples and pear recently- will try a peach as son as I can find one!

  5. Gina - stop TYRING so hard. If you can manage to let go of worrying about results and just live the experience things will progress much better.

    The more time you spend freely exploring with your media - be it color or pencil or acrylic - the more fun it will be. You don't even have to look at the thing once it's done if it gives you stress. Wad it up and throw it away.

    It takes time to learn a skill and a GREAT amount of time to master it. Give yourself permission to be imperfect, to be where you are on your journey.

    I have a very long way to go in my skills - but I'm enjoying the journey. You are more likely to continue, to persist, to spend more time doing it if you can make it fun.

    And then the skill will come with the doing.

    All my best wishes to you!!!

  6. Hi Lyric, I've just found your comment here - thank you so much for your kind words! I was just being a bit silly with my comment about being tortured; I really do love messing around with all kinds of media, but get a teeny bit frustrated when things don't turn out the way I want them to. As you so rightly said,it takes a lot of time to master a skill, and I'm too impatient! But I'm having fun :-)


Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.