Sunday, May 13, 2012

Strawberries four ways

Susan Brubaker Knapp here. It’s strawberry season here in North Carolina. I’ve served strawberries just about every way I can think of this past month, and thought I might try the same approach with drawing them. I challenged myself to serve up strawberry sketches in different styles. The strawberries at the top of this post were sketched in black ink, and then water colored. Here’s a sketch in black ink on white paper:


For the version below, I first created a background using acrylic paints, stencils and sponging. Then I traced the strawberries onto tracing paper, and painted the background of the tracing paper with green. I flipped the drawing on tracing paper over, and glued it to the background, tearing the edges a bit so more of the background would show. Then I used red acrylic paint to do the strawberries.


For the version below, I used spiky cross-hatching for the shading, purposely making my lines go at lots of different angles. It’s an interesting look, but they look kind of prickly – like strawberry cacti!
It’s a good exercise to try working in different styles, and with different materials, then to sit back and decide which one you like best, and why. I find that I usually like a style that looks fairly realistic, so I like the version at the top of the post best. Which one is your favorite?

P.S. If you like to eat your strawberries after you draw them, check out my blog post with a recipe for strawberry-rhubarb pie with my mom’s home-made pie crust! You won’t regret it.

2 comments:

  1. So delightful, Susan. I could just reach out and touch one. Love the simplicity of a strawberry, but as you get closer, you see how intricate the details are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I like the one at the top best too, but they are all quite unique! Very clever.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.