Monday, June 11, 2012

Boarded Up

Hello! I'm so happy to be here. Let me introduce myself. I'm Deborah Boschert and I'm brand new as one of the hosts on The Sketchbook Challenge. My usual artwork takes the form of fabric collage with lots of interesting materials plus stitching by hand and by machine. I do have sketchbooks full of tiny thumbnail compositions, lists of ideas, snippets of images and inspirational quotes and thoughts. I'm thrilled to share some of these ideas with YOU!

When I heard the theme "urban sketching," I thought immediately of this building in Philadelphia. Isn't it fantastic?!
I am sure this is not exactly what Carol had in mind with her theme. I love the idea of sketching outside in the world and I hope to do some sketching when I visit my parents on the shore of Lake Ontario next week.

But, I wanted to take a stab at this building. It's certainly "urban," right? So, I pulled out a sketchbook, sharpie and pencil and opened my blog to the page with this image.

You can see I ignored the perspective of the building because what I'm really interested in is the grid of the design. And the symmetry of the windows combined with the asymmetry of the spots where they are boarded up, open, or still intact.

I started with grid lines drawn with a pencil, then marked in the shapes of the windows with a sharpie.
I put more detail at the bottom of the drawing. On purpose or lazy? I'm not sure.

Then I added color with watercolors (which I have very little experience with).
I really enjoyed this whole process. After working on it, I'm not sure if I'm more drawn to the sketch without the color or after the color was added. Initially I thought I was most inspired by that random pattern of red boarded up windows, but now I am equally enchanted by the grids of the window panes.


  1. Yes, that is absolutely a fabulous building. Great eye!

  2. I love this and am pleased that you chose to ignore the perspective of the photo. That can be really hard to do (for me, anyway).

    I like the initial sketch very much, but love the one with the color.


  3. What a perfect choice! Bravo, it's stunning!

  4. I love the sketch without color!
    I understand what you were saying about the red boards though! Thanks.

  5. I love this! The red really pops off that building, doesn't it?

  6. I love all three images- the photo, the pencil sketch and then the coloured one. Makes me want to get out and about with my sketchbook too. Thanks for sharing it with us.

  7. Great Sketch Deborah! I love drawing buildings too. I also think you did a good job with the watercolors!

  8. Love it, Deborah! Both the line drawing and with the water colors. I did my post (today's) a while back, before I saw yours... and it's funny how similar our subject matter is.

  9. Beautiful old building and I love the colors too, great job!


Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.