Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Stressed out? Take time to sketch.


Susan Brubaker Knapp here, with a reminder that if you don’t live near an urban area, or plan to visit one this month, you can work from your photos instead. The sketch above is based on a photo I took in March when I was in the Netherlands teaching. It is Amsterdam. Here is the photo:


I chose to make the drawing less cluttered by leaving out the cars, and only adding a few details, like the ever-present bicycles and the trash can. By comparing my drawing to the photo, I can clearly see that I need to work on perspective! My windows are angled correctly on some buildings, but I fell back into making them go too straight on others.

I also wanted to mention that if you are feeling stressed out right now, taking time to sketch – even for a few minutes a day – is good for the soul and the blood pressure. I’m in the middle of helping my father through a major move and transition into a retirement center, and barely have time to breathe. All my friends keep reminding me, “Make sure you take care of yourself first, Susan!” but it is hard to follow that advice when there is so much to do, and so much to worry about.

Yesterday, I took that advice – deciding that taking care of myself included taking care of my creative self, too – and sat down to sketch. It did help. Give it a try. And don't forget to breathe.

7 comments:

  1. Dear Susan, sending so much love your way ~ Traci

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it Susan. My post yesterday was also from a photo. It's nice to have something to refer to. I like the wonky perspective ... it makes it more personal and clearly hand-done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this sketch- reminds me of the little blue ceramic houses! ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the sketches Susan! And yes, we all need to take the time to breathe and create.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree we need time to stop and breathe.x I know where this drawing is from in Amsterdam. love the placexxlynda

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your sketches, I also enjoy working from photos, it helps see it in a photo which takes the 3D and flattens it to 2D

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's a wonderful sketch, and you have received (and passed along) some great advice too. Sending my hopes for a gentle transition for your father (and for you).

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.