Thursday, June 14, 2012

Urban Sketching in California

Helloooo everyone!  I'm Kari McKnight Holbrook, and I'm so honored to be here!  I was a little nervous about what I would need to do for "urban sketching" and I had visions of having to go to the seediest back alleyways of a big city....thank goodness I looked it up and found I've been doing urban sketching all my life...even way out here on the farm!  Just grabbing quick glimpses of what I see where ever I am.
I travel alot teaching, so I grab sketches whenever I have a moment or two.  In the airports, waiting in the lobbies, at the restaurants.  Last week in CA, I tried to focus on things that were different than what I see at home. Lines of people, fire hydrants, seagulls, lines of luggage and skyscrapers.
As several others have said, I too ALWAYS carry a sketchbook of some sort with me, and have at least 10 different ones going at any given time.  I also almost always have a prepared painted and printed quick journal with me, so I can work on it with a minimum of supplies.  I do rough, down and dirty graphite sketches in my 'grub' journal, then choose the best lines to highlight.  I then copy those lines over with Faber Castell Pitt artist pens onto deli paper, and adhere it to my prepped journal with Pam Carriker's Mixed Media Adhesive and a bondo spreader! (It allows me to color with pencils and watercolor on top of my images!)   This allows me to use the same images over and over too- even flipping the image if I so desire. 
Most times I only grab the grub sketch at the scene, I don't ever seem to stay in one place long enough to fill in with color, so I add that and the texture/doodles when I am confined for longer periods of time- like on an airplane.  TSA made me empty my waterbrush, but I was undaunted, and refilled it on the plane! 

17 comments:

  1. Hi Kari,

    I love your sketches. All this mixed media stuff is new to me so I don't quite understand how, when you describe your transfer method, it allows you to use an image multiple times. Are you tracing the original?

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda! Thanks for the kind comments. Yes, I have a "master" grubby journal with down and dirty sketches in pencil. I trace the original onto the deli paper. I use the delipaper to adhere to pages of the final journal.

      Delete
  2. These sketches are beautiful, inspiring and fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. fabulous pages Kari!! and your process is so clever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. love these pages. Your sketches of buildings and furniture remind me of my mom's, who is an interior designer

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are amaing and somehow need a much bigger word than sketches to describe them.

    Sarah
    http://acatlikecuriosity.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are wonderful! Thanks for sharing your technique; I'll have to try that some time. First I have to find plain deli paper as our shops do not seem to carry them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Kari,

    Talk about two countries divided by the same language! I had to Google deli paper to understand, I think it is Greaseproof paper in the UK.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, sorry for any confusion. It is marketed as "dry wax" paper.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love seeing the pages finished Kari as I got a peek at them in progress at CREATE:-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful pages to sketch on. So glad you are part of the Sketchbook challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kari, I hope you will do a post about how you use type in your sketchbooks sometime... because I love it in your work! Happy to have you on The Sketchbook Challenge blog :-) Susan

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fabulous work, Kari! Your amazing! Thanks for sharing your methods!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Loved this Kari! You are absolutely right about "urban sketching" being what you have always done! Drawing our world one scene at a time, right? Welcome to the SBC!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your sketches, the energy, welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  15. "I then copy those lines over with Faber Castell Pitt artist pens onto deli paper, and adhere it to my prepped journal with Pam Carriker's Mixed Media Adhesive and a bondo spreader! (It allows me to color with pencils and watercolor on top of my images!)"

    THIS is information I need! Because I run out of time to "finish" my pages. Do you have a tutorial out there how you do this? I'd really like to learn!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I hope to have a video journal tute coming soon! Thanks for the warm welcome and for asking:-)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.