Sunday, July 8, 2012

Facing Circles

Hi Everyone, Pam Carriker  here with a little quick idea for doing a portrait in your journal.

I love how you can look at a face and see how it's made up of many circles. It's fun to do a quick drawing focusing on just that one shape, so I got out an Extra Superfine Faber Castell Pitt Artist pen and did a quick sketch focusing on using circles to build my face.

Next using the same pen and using the circles for my guidelines I added the details to the face. I'm not worried with perfection, this was done quickly with a pen, no pencil so no erasing. It's a great thing to get you to create quickly and fearlessly.
I added some more details and shading with some cross hatch strokes of the pen.
I decided to use blue for my shade color and painted some watercolor paint around the shadowed areas.
I followed with some yellow ochre watercolor working wet on wet to let it blend a bit with the blue.
I continued with the watercolors until I felt it was done. The whole 8 1/2 x 11 watercolor page was done in about 20 minutes as I was sitting outside with my morning cup of coffee. Is it perfect? No. Do I like it? Yes, it was fun and got my day going in the right direction:-)

9 comments:

  1. I like it too - a great way to build my "facial" muscles!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is really fun Pam. And I like the way you manage to make this look doable rather than intimidating!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks you guys:-) It is a quick and fun way to make a face and very doable!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cool! Thanks for tihs...I tried to copy your diagram with the face / circle divided to see where to place features. This is the first face I've drawn that looks proportional! I think I just had a breakthrough moment...lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Pam! Great image and great tutorial. So many good ideas to try out. Much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I attempted my own circle face. The result isn't great, but I had so much fun. Thank you for the idea.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.