Sunday, July 1, 2012

July Theme: Circles

Jane Davies here with the July 2012 theme...

I had in mind a theme a little more complex and challenging, but when I tried out this circles theme in a recent online workshop I got such fabulous work pouring out of the students that I could not resist sharing it with you.  Then, Sue Bleiweiss's book, The Sketchbook Challenge, came out, and I saw that one of its themes is Circles.  So, Circles it is!  Circles are so simple and universal.  You can use this theme to explore materials, techniques, composition, content, or whatever you have going on in your own art practice.  Here are a few of my examples:

A page in my sketchbook exploring circles in ink, acrylic, stamping, pencil

Stamps, collage, painting
Acrylic paint, sgraffito, ink, pencil


And some gorgeous student work:
I made this montage of student work.  These pieces are cropped to fit the square format.




Have fun with this! Don't forget to post on our flickr site.

The theme for July 2012 is Circles!

Special Prize Giveaway Announcements for July 2012:

Prize package giveaway from Gelli Arts! 


One lucky winner will receive an 8"x10" Gelli Art plate!


And 3 lucky winners will receive a piece of mail art from one of the sketchbook challenge artists!

How to be eligible for prize drawings: 
In order to be eligible for one of the July 2012 prize packages you must post at least one photo of a sketchbook page related to the July 2012 theme to the Sketchbook Challenge Flickr group and you MUST tag one of your photos with the code "july148".  
 
IMPORTANT INFORMATION REGARDING TAGGING YOUR PHOTOS WITH THE PRIZE CODES:  PLEASE DO NOT TAG MORE THAN ONE PHOTO WITH THE PRIZE TAG - IT DOES NOT INCREASE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING AND IT MAKES IT HARDER AND MORE TEDIOUS TO GENERATE THE WINNING LIST EACH MONTH - THANK YOU!
 
  Post as many photos as you like but only put the special tag on one of them.

Information on how to upload photos to flickr can be found here.

Winners will be chosen by random draw on the last day of July and announced here on the Sketchbook Challenge blog.

9 comments:

  1. Now I can do Circles! See what I come up with. Judith, Texas

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my - I LOVE this! Great fun for everyone in July. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for posting this to FB, Jamie. I love circles, I love Jane's work. I'm in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are so cool, gotta try some circles this week! Love your site!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, thank you! This is a great theme with lots of potential!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wowser...my wheels are turning with ideas!:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think this is something I would like to try so I have posted my two circles pieces for the challenge. I'm not good at leaving links in comments but I'm going to try. If it doesn't work please go to flambloggeratbogspotdotcom. Here's the LINK if it works

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the concept behind the Sketchbook Challenge. This is the first time I've participated. Check out my blog post with my circle sketches: http://carrotchick.blogspot.com/2012/07/sketchbook-challenge-july-circles.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. My circle painting is on my blog and in the flicker group. Here is my blog post:
    http://jazzysfavoriteart.blogspot.com/2012/07/my-art-journal-june-sunflowers.htm

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.