Saturday, July 14, 2012

Visual Journal


Jane Davies here.  Since I'm the one that chose the Circles theme, it will not surprise you that I've been using circles in my own work quite a bit lately.  The first thing I want to show you is a visual journal I'm working on.  This is like a sketchbook, but the pages are already painted (or printed, or collaged...) so each page spread functions as a starting point for further exploration.  See my posts about making this visual journal, and then working in it.  Here are a few page spreads that feature circles as a theme:





 You can see yet another demo on this visual journal here.

Here are a few recent encaustic pieces featuring circles.  What IS it about circles?  They are so simple, yet yummy, universal, satisfying. 
Encaustic on panel, 10"x10"
Encaustic on paper, 8"x8"
Encaustic on paper, 8"x8"

You can see more of my encaustic work with loads of circles here and here.  Hope you are enjoying the theme!

5 comments:

  1. I always love your posts, Jane.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too love circles and these are dynamic. Always love your drawings and look forward to the next. I am alway in a hurry, so I don't sometimes have the time to comment. Just happen to be up early this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your circles are dynamic. When I look at my visual journal I see that I have been too timid. I find I like the backgrounds and they still are the main focus, whereas you boldly make additions that really speak. As usual you've been inspiring. Thanks
    www.julie-annemcdonald.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely colours and depth using wax.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.