Friday, August 24, 2012

Life Shelters



"Daily Collage" on my Facebook page.

Hi everyone, I am Frances Holliday Alford, with my first entry into the Sketchbook Challenge. I am so happy to be chosen to be in this wonderful group of artists.  Thank you.

Shelter, as a subject. made me think of the houses I have lived in. There has been a variety. I made a Sketchbook choosing random art papers bound together with stitching.
I started with the first house I lived in and wrote the street and town of each successive one in order.  My first entry in my sketchbook, my house on Mulberry Lane in Bellaire, Texas

Our second house was also in Greater Houston.  My parents built our house in Piney Point Village.  I was here until I graduated from Memorial High School.

I spent hours remembering details of each of these abodes. Some were apartments, most were free standing houses.

Our family moved to Houlton, Maine when I was college age and we lived in a house on Charles Street.  I saw it last summer and it is now forest green.



I lived in Tucson for eight years.  This was the first apartment there. The house in the front was our landlord's part.  We lived in the back.
We bought our first house in Tucson.  White stucco, very '30s type and so Southwestern.  A wonderful house in the Sam Hughes neighborhood.  It had a very tall cyprus tree in the front.

When John and I got married, we bought this house in Austin.  Later, Rick Perry moved in two doors down.  I sold the house after John died and I moved to Vermont.  Rick still lives there.



I now live in "Crossways" in Grafton, Vermont.  My first house in Grafton was "Overbrook" which is across the brook from where I live now.  I had always wanted to live in Grafton, having spent so many happy summers here visiting my grandparents. 


This is my boarding house in Cheongju, Korea with an outdoor water supply for washing and tooth brushing. I was a Peace Corps Volunteer from 1978-1980.  I lived in the same way most of the people of South Korea lived in those days. I had a mat on the floor and ate my meals with the family I lived with.  My room is the double door to the left.  The outdoor toilet was just below the lower left corner.  The kitchen is the darker door in the center.



Making the sketchbook was fun.  I learned a lot doing this.  The most important thing I learned was to be careful to make sure that each paper will work well for sketching.  Some papers were better than others. 

........................................................................................................................................

I have a few other pieces to show you from the shelter theme.


I was part of the Artist's Village at the International Quilt Association show in Houston and Long Beach. My yellow beaded house just came back and here it is.  Kathy York did a great job with her concept and organization of this project.

The second year of IQA's Journal Quilts, I did a whole series of houses.  Here is my Citrus House.
.........................................................................................................................

The winter after I bought Crossways, I dreamed about the beautiful yellow house up in Vermont and how much I would enjoy the summer I was going to spend there. This quilt was an outcome of that vision. Not very similar to Crossways except for being yellow. It was in the Tactile Archecture that  that year for IQA in Houston.  On the right, a more accurate version of my house, Crossways, in the snow.
                                                   "Daily Collage" on my Facebook page.             

...............................................................................................................................................................












4 comments:

  1. Love seeing all of your houses, Frances. Very whimsical and fun. Love the shelter of home, and you captured it here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All of your "homes" are lovely - the collages and the quilts. I love all the color you use and the whimsy of your work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love all your houses - so creative. TFS~!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful homes! So nice to see your work, welcome aboard!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.