Thursday, August 9, 2012

Shelter in a whimsical way- Desiree

Hi everyone Desiree here! I must say that Shelter is a very thought provoking theme for the month. As I thought about the different types of shelter in my own life I was reminded how much I have to be thankful for, living where we do, all of our blessings. Thank you Sue, for a great topic. So as I privately listed many shelters in my personal life I was reminded about some more whimsical and fun types of shelters. As a fabric designer, sometimes I will design something that I think is just so cute and it goes over like a lead balloon. That was the case of my Victorian bird houses. I thought I created a fun place to shelter my little bird families but it wasnt picked up for fabric or for any products yet. Instead I now keep in in a file, sheltered from the trash bin, in hopes that I will be able to use it some day. This sketch was done without anything to look out, it came out of my mind, my imagination. Have you ever just let your mind play in your sketchbook or just on paper? Draw just to draw, make up your own subject. I love to create new places in my whimsical world, filled with the obsurd, the silly, the fun stuff that wouldnt have a home anywhere else. I provide the shelter for my imagination, you should too! Allow yourself permission to have fun, unafraid of what others will think. By providing that shelter, that safe place to play,  you will open up a whole new world artistically!

Every home should be able to serve tea!



It is fun to think of all the fun types of shelters we keep, butterfly houses, toad houses, bat houses, bird houses, chicken coops, dog houses. If I think back I know we have created shelters for every animal we have ever owned and we have even sheltered uninvited guests. I think we even had fun little houses for our fish. What shelters will your imagination build today?

9 comments:

  1. Lovely colors and just what a whimsical delight for sure. I also often draw just to draw, it's what ever seems to flow from my head at the time, and it feels as good as when I let words flow as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are incredibly beautiful and have such a sweet feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are really wonderful - Can't imagine not being pick-up by anyone - beautiful colors, theme and really fun. I would have bought the fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone, I love your comments. Maybe someday they will get picked up,what shelters are you all going to share on the flickr group site? I will be over to see what everyone has come up with. I love how it means something different to everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love them!! They would make beautiful greeting cards! I'd buy them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. these are beautiful.

    years ago, I used to belong to a garden site and people would make totems for their gardens by stacking various plates, cups and saucers, even candle sticks to make a colorful and interesting garden ornament/decoration.
    do a google search for garden totems and be enchanted by the beautiful works of art out there!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. thanks Sue and Amy! Ruth, I will google it, sounds wonderful. I wish I had thought to do that before I was creating these from my imagination. Might have made things a bit easier~

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.