Monday, August 27, 2012

Simple House

Welcome to Deborah's house! I love a simple five-sided house shape. It shows up in my work again and again. Even though my family is in the midst of moving from one house to another (literally!), I was able to dig out a few supplies and play a bit with the house shape in my sketch book.

Just a spiral sketchbook, a glue stick, some scissors and a magazine. (My dad found this one in an airplane and thought I'd like it, so he tucked it in his suitcase to give me. Thanks, Dad.)

Simple simple simple house shapes. A few different sizes cut from interesting patterns on the magazine page.

Here's my very simple first design. Nothing special, but I still like it. Sometimes spare designs are perfect in their simplicity. (This certainly isn't perfect, but I'm just playing.)

Next I picked this page to cut up. I liked the variety of colors and textures in the photo. Isn't Rhianna gorgeous?

As you can see, I've stretched the house shape -- some tall, some short and wide. I tried to cut into various areas of the photo so I would have some contrast in color. That allows me to stack the shapes on top of each other, but they don't blend into each other.

Here's a close up where you can see Rhianna face in the upper left and hand in the bottom right.

Lastly I wanted to explore cutting negative house shapes out of other house shapes. I especially love this technique because you can use both the shape with the negative cut out AND the positive house shape.

Isn't it amazing that you get more of a sense of depth with this composition -- even though it's somewhat abstract?

I'll admit that I'm not as free and flexible as I could be. Did you notice that all my houses are sitting flat and straight? Mixing up the alignment of the shapes would make these collages look totally different. Honestly, I didn't even consider that until writing this post and looking through the images. I'll try that next time...

4 comments:

  1. very cool!, and here I've been using the images straight on in my art journals!. will have to try this.4

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea. Love it. I always like it when there is nothing wasted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this idea! I'm trying to experiment, I'm so locked into what I "think" a sketch book should be and I need to expand that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha! great idea ;)
    so nice ;)

    http://my-green-inspirations.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.