Thursday, September 6, 2012

Building a Composition in Pattern

Jane Davies here.  I use pattern a LOT in my work, so this theme is really fun for me.  So I thought I'd make a little video of my process.  I don't have a set procedure, but tend to layer pattern intuitively.

This is the finished piece from the video.  It includes acrylic paint, watercolor crayon, and pit pens.

Here are a few more pieces from recent work that use pattern as a primary subject:

Acrylic, ink, and graphite on paper, 10"x10"

Encaustic on paper, 8"x8"

Encaustic and ink on paper, 8"x8"

Acrylic, oil stick, graphite, and ink on paper, 22"x30"
 I hope you'll experiment with patterns in many different materials, motifs, and scales in your sketchbook and outside of it!  You can see more of my patter-y work in an interview with Sara Naumann, here.


  1. Enjoyed seeing the layers build. Gotta try this.

  2. Loved seeing your process of creating pattern. Thanks for sharing :) Sarah

  3. love this! makes me want to get my paints out and play.....

  4. Love the video - thank you! Love the idea, too - I tried it last night and really liked my result.

  5. Wonderful demonstration of your techniques! I work mostly with fiber and dyes, but I used to paint in another life... may have to turn back and try this!

  6. great video! thank you for sharing


Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.