Sunday, September 9, 2012

Doodly patterns

Hi. I am new here! I'm Terry Grant and am so pleased to join this group of artists. I have been an avid follower of the Sketchbook Challenge blog since its inception and found a lot of fun, knowledge and inspiration here. I look forward to adding what I can to the mix. I have been a painter and a printmaker and currently make art quilts. I have loved to draw since I was a child and believe it is the foundation for making good art regardless of the medium, and pattern is my favorite thing!

For as long as I remember I have been doodling patterns. Long before I ever heard of Zentangles I was doodling similar style pattern doodles.

They are small and tend to take the form of a mandala, but not always.

One of the challenges I set for myself is to try to use a combination of patterns that contrast with each other in terms of scale, rhythm and especially value. A good way to tell if I've been successful is to reduce it down to a small size. If it all looks like the same shade of gray I have failed to use enough value contrast.

I find this kind of doodling very contemplative. Time just evaporates. Try it. I usually lightly draw a shape, with a pencil, that can be filled with pattern, then I use a fine point permanent pen to begin filling in the shape, making up the patterns as I go. Sometimes the muse suggests great pattern ideas, sometimes they are more ordinary and predictable. It's quite fun to use recognizable shapes to fill with pattern.



9 comments:

  1. WOW, WOW, WOW!!!!!!! Very cool designs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome Terry! So glad to have you here. Love your drawings, they are absolutely fabulous! Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your pattern designs, welcome Terry!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad that you are one of the new artist hosts! I think your doodly patterns would be beautiful in white paint on a brightly-colored t-shirt.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.