Saturday, September 1, 2012

September Theme: Patterns

Hi, Deborah Boschert here introducing the September theme! 

  The theme for September 2012 is:

patterns

decorative designs, as for wallpaper, china, or textile fabrics
natural or chance markings
distinctive styles, models, or forms

There are so many absolutely endless ways to incorporate patterns into your sketchbook. 
  • copy patterns in nature
  • lift patterns from architecture or textiles
  • paste actual sewing pattern pieces into your sketchbook as layers in a collage
  • explore your personal artistic patterns -- maybe even try to break them
  • make rubbings from patterns you find in your kitchen junk drawer
  • take photos of interesting textures and trace them in sections to create patterns
  • make repeating stamped images with unexpected objects 
To dive into the theme, I decided to make a simple sketch with several different shapes. Then fill each of those shapes with a different "pattern." Keep in mind that we just moved and I don't have all my supplies "at hand." In fact, I could not find water colors or a single brush. I did find some Crayola watercolor/markers in a basket of excess school supplies, so I used those.

I created this little time lapse video of my process. Enjoy!
video


Please excuse the random shifts in light and the weird close-ups of my arm. Making a time lapse video is a bit unpredictable.

That music in the video is written and performed by my cousin, Ben Streeter of Salisbury Streets. (Isn't it great?!)




Did you notice that I originally had several tiny squares in the smaller arched section? I didn't like them, so I did a tight cross-hatched pattern over the top. I think it's better... and adds some good contrast to the overall design. I outlined just a few of the circles across the bottom and a few of the swirls from the green stamp. It's good to mix "pattern" with just a bit of irregularity.

The theme for September 2012 is:
Patterns
 **************************************************************************


Special Prize Giveaway Announcements for August 2012:

Prize package giveaway from Dinner@8:


One lucky winner will receive a combination prize package of a few of Jamie Fingal's and Leslie Tucker Jenison's favorite things that includes:  Mistyfuse, a Goddess Sheet, a pair of
Havel's Fabric Scissors (can be used for precision paper cutting too),
and some manila tags for making art!

Prize package giveaway from Gelli Arts:


One lucky winner will receive an 8"x10" Gelli Art plate!


Prize Package from Meinke Toy:

one lucky winner will receive a $25 gift certificate to Meinke Toy!


How to be eligible for prize drawings: 
In order to be eligible for one of the September 2012 prize packages you must post at least one photo of a sketchbook page related to the
September 2012 theme to the Sketchbook Challenge Flickr group and you MUST tag one of your photos with the code "sep267".  
 
IMPORTANT INFORMATION REGARDING TAGGING YOUR PHOTOS WITH THE PRIZE CODES:  PLEASE DO NOT TAG MORE THAN ONE PHOTO WITH THE PRIZE TAG - IT DOES NOT INCREASE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING AND IT MAKES IT HARDER AND MORE TEDIOUS TO GENERATE THE WINNING LIST EACH MONTH - THANK YOU!
 

  Post as many photos as you like but only put the special tag on one of them.

Information on how to upload photos to flickr can be found here.

Winners will be chosen by random draw on the last day of
September and announced here on the Sketchbook Challenge blog.



6 comments:

  1. great theme Deborah and I loved the video!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that everyone will be able to get going with this theme Deborah. I love the video!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am very excited about this theme! Whoohoo! Let's get started!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great video Deborah and I love this month's theme? Can you tell me what you are using at the very beginning of your video to put colors on you page?
    Thank you so much!
    Isabelle

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your site! I think it's great how many videos you have. I also have a blog about visual journaling and would love for you to take a look, and if you have a minute maybe even do a guest post (http://www.lookbetweenthelines.com)! My goal is to create more videos to include on my site, I love your format! I include a challenge for my readers to complete after each post, but I like the idea of having a monthly theme. Great job!

    ReplyDelete