Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Tread Patterns

Hi, Terri posting on the theme of patterns.  For some reason, the tread on tires has always fascinated me.  And I most like looking at the impression that's left behind after the tire has rolled over some moist, soft earth or snow.

I took a few photos of the tire treads we have around our place.  There were several different ones.

I sketched one of the tread patterns on a piece of paper with a thick graphite pencil.

I then worked on the photo in PhotoShop.  It's very Chevron-like.  I think this would be a great way to create your own stencil or Thermofax screen.

Next I added some more design to the shapes.

And finally, I cut and pasted one of the shapes on a new PhotoShop page and duplicated it.  I could see this stenciled in my sketchbook pages.
How about you?  Have you noticed tire tread patterns?


  1. Oh, I do like this post. Yes, tread patterns are so interesting, and you have such a variety, and I like the results, with the idea of stencils from the tread designs.

    Being a fan of combining my drawings or paintings with Photoshop, it's so good to see someone else combining the hand and electronic techniques. And I also love using painting and drawing apps on my i-pad - my current post is along these lines, if you think you might be interested.

  2. Saw this poem in the latest Smithsonian Magazine that relates to our theme....awesome!!!

    Pattern and Snarls by Amit Majmudar

    Life likes a little mess. All patterns need a snarl.
    The best patterns know how best to heed a snarl.

    Every high style, every strict form was once nonce.
    The best way to save a snagged pattern? Repeat the snarl.

    Eden used to snow in fractals, rain in syncopated runs.
    Adam never imagined he would hear its seedlings snarl.

    Tug the wrong thread, and your wool sweater vanishes at once.
    Death pulls at a wisp of us—and just like that, it’s freed the snarl.

    What is it about order that we love? This sense,
    Maybe, that a secret informs the pattern?

    Is it a toddler’s joy in doing things again?
    Is it the entropy in us that warms to pattern?

    I never intended this line to rhyme on again again.
    Then again, sometimes it's the snarl that adorns the pattern.


Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.