Friday, September 7, 2012

What is a Pattern?

(Lyric here.) I started thinking about what the word pattern means.
I love looking words up in a dictionary - so I looked it up.

Pattern from a katazome stencil design turned into a thermofax screen

World English Dictionary
pattern 1  (ˈpæt ə n) 
— n arrangement of repeated or corresponding parts, decorative motifs, etc
2.a decorative design
3.a style
4.a plan or diagram used as a guide in making something
5.a standard way of moving, acting, etc
6.a model worthy of imitation
7.a representative sample
8.a wooden or metal shape or model used in a foundry to make a mould
9.a. the arrangement of marks made in a target by bullets
 b. a diagram displaying such an arrangement

Candy wrappers glued down, light coat of gesso, screen printed

I love looking words up in a thesaurus even more! Sometimes it gives me even more insight into what I'm researching. (It's certainly my favorite way to name my artworks.)

I love circles and grids...

Main Entry:
pattern [pat-ern; Brit. pat-n] Show IPA
Part of Speech:noun
Definition:design, motif
planstencil, template, trim

....and lines and squiggles

And here I had it in my mind that a pattern was a repeat of some visual element. It can be - but isn't necessarily so. 

playing with random drips and more scribbles

The only thing I can think of here is that it is something made on purpose, although a pattern can be random, or accidental as well.

the pattern of letters and words...
It's all fun food for thought. These are all just beginnings. Experiments. Playtime. Pattern can be a lovely thing to play with and play is a necessary part of art making.


  1. I love words, too! What a great idea to look up the challenge words (or any other words, for that matter) in the thesaurus.


Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.