Monday, October 1, 2012

October 2012 theme: A Cabinet of Curiosities


Hi all Judy Coates Perez here, I’m so glad I got to choose October’s theme! With Halloween at the end of the month, I have been thinking that I want to go a little dark and quirky by choosing the theme of Cabinet of Curiosities. 

Cabinet’s of curiosities were very popular several hundred years ago with naturalists, artists and scientists and the term refers to a collection of natural artifacts in a cabinet or an arrangement on a shelf. 

Typically you would see skulls, small taxidermy animals, feathers, insects, bird eggs, anatomical charts, seashells, etc. For an artist this would be a priceless collection of exotic items that would be used for drawing and painting reference. 

Imagine opening drawers in the natural history museum filled with birds, butterflies or beetles, unusual dioramas under glass domes, jars of abnormalities in formaldehyde, wall charts in the biology department of a college or medical facility, or tribal relics or adornments made from bones, feathers, teeth or claws.

I got everyone here to take a break from packing today and get involved drawing examples for a cabinet. The first two drawings are mine of an old lotus pod from a flower arrangement and a butterfly I recently found on the sidewalk and a rhinoceros beetle.

 My daughter Indigo drew the deaths head moth.

And my ex Juan drew the griffen.

This is a mixed media painted quilted textile piece I made a few years ago for a project using body parts for imagery.

Hopefully this gets you inspired to start a cabinet of your own.

The theme for October 2012 is:
Cabinet of Curiosities
 **************************************************************************


Special Prize Giveaway Announcements for October 2012:

Prize package giveaway from Gelli Arts:


One lucky winner will receive an 8"x10" Gelli Art plate!


Prize Package from Meinke Toy:

one lucky winner will receive a $25 gift certificate to Meinke Toy!


How to be eligible for prize drawings: 
In order to be eligible for one of the October 2012 prize packages you must post at least one photo of a sketchbook page related to the October
2012 theme to the Sketchbook Challenge Flickr group and you MUST tag one of your photos with the code "oct345".  
 
IMPORTANT INFORMATION REGARDING TAGGING YOUR PHOTOS WITH THE PRIZE CODES:  PLEASE DO NOT TAG MORE THAN ONE PHOTO WITH THE PRIZE TAG - IT DOES NOT INCREASE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING AND IT MAKES IT HARDER AND MORE TEDIOUS TO GENERATE THE WINNING LIST EACH MONTH - THANK YOU!
 

  Post as many photos as you like but only put the special tag on one of them.

Information on how to upload photos to flickr can be found here.

Winners will be chosen by random draw on the last day of October and announced here on the Sketchbook Challenge blog.

8 comments:

  1. Time to get your scary on! Looks like fun! Thanks Judy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't wait for this theme, I find we have collected our own cabinet of Curiosities over the years and I am assembling them now for sketching ! I am feeling very ghoulish! Thanks Judy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a very cool theme to work with Judy and I"m really looking forward to seeing what everybody does with it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Coolest theme ever! I've been entranced ever since I first heard about something called a Cabinet of Curiosities, madly collecting images of the bizarre and scientific for my Pinterest board of that name. It never occurred to me to use that as a sketchbook theme. This will be fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooohh...fun! I can't wait to see what everyone comes up with!

    ReplyDelete