Sunday, October 14, 2012

Portrait of Curious Parts

While looking for 'curiosities' in my sketchbook, I came across some pages of studies I'd done of different facial features.

For this page I copied, cut and adhered the images using Mixed Media Adhesive.
I sketched and shaded over the top of the images using my pencils, creating a page of parts.

I decided to take some of the parts and 'create' a face, a sort of 'Frankenstein' approach to portraiture. I cut them out and again used Mixed Media Adhesive which contains a ground that allows me to sketch right over the collaged images. I used one of my face maps for a base to glue the images on to.
Next I used a couple of stencils (Artist Cellar and Stencil Girls) and Permanent Liquid Pencil Sketching Ink and added some 'Steampumk" flare to my face.

Using various tints of Lyra Graphitkreide water soluble graphite crayons, I shaded over the collaged images to tie them all together in the face, activating them with a water brush.

A black Stabilo Pencil adds even more depth.

Then I gently buffed the Permanent Liquid Pencil Sketching Ink to a sheen with a tissue.
Loved how this slightly curious creature emerged from faces drawn in the past. 








13 comments:

  1. the face as "cabinet of curiosities"--what a fantastic, out-of-the-box idea. wonderfully executed, too! great work, great idea. i want to try this one. thank you...meeah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Meeah:-) It's definitely a fun thing to do:-)

      Delete
  2. such a wonderful and unique piece Pam. Thank you for sharing how you went about this with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Tammie, hope you find time to play with this months fun theme!

      Delete
  3. great work and concept .Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You had a great idea. Elements of human face as cabinet of curiosities. Really unusual. Then I love the treatment you gave to the creature. It emerges little by little. Thank you for sharing. And thanks to you work I realized the diversity of eyes, ears, lips, noses. Never exactly the same.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing! I just love how this piece evolved... awesome job of narrating it for us too. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh ... I just love how this evolved. VERY cool!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your "Frankenstein" face is amazing - love how you put the pieces together and the steam punk gears are the perfect finishing touch!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.