Friday, October 5, 2012

what's in my cabinet

Sue B here....

I approached this months theme like I do with most themes which is to start with a list of things to sketch related to the theme.  A cabinet of curiosities contains things from the natural world so here's the list I came up with:

Feathers
Jars
Bugs/Butterflies/Spiders and other assorted creepy crawlies
Flowers & leaves
Antlers, claws, teeth

I decided to start with the first thing on the list and broke out the charcoal:

Why charcoal?  Well I enrolled in a 12 week beginner drawing class and we're working with charcoal.  I'm finding I really enjoy working with charcoal for a couple of reasons.  First it's a little messy which is actually quite freeing.  When I work with it, the page (and my hand) gets messy which helps keep me loose and relaxed.  The second reason is that it's a pretty fluid medium to sketch with.


by that I mean that the marks on the page are easy to move around on the page simply by smearing them with your finger...

So I can lay down a base to work up from and then add in darker details...

And blend some more

and continue to work this way until I get the result that I want...



I'm only two weeks into the class and I'm really enjoying it. 


Okay so I cross feathers off my list.  Now it's onto jars & bugs...




2 comments:

  1. sounds like fun and yes freeing, i might have to give it a try. thanks for sharing how you did the layers. your feather looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so proud of you for taking a drawing class Sue! You GO girl!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.