Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Mixing it Up

Traci Bunkers here! For me, the spice of life is trying new things, or doing things differently.

I make my own journals, and when it was time to make a new one, I decided I wanted a change. This time I used old record album covers for the outside covers. My back and front covers are from two different albums. I was going to use the one on the left for the front. But after I cut it down to size, I thought it would look better on the back. So I chose a colorful album cover for the front.

TraciBunkers.com-30-days-of-get-your-art-on-102012a

TraciBunkers.com-30-days-of-get-your-art-on-102212d

Then after tearing a variety of papers to size, and folding them into signatures, I sewed them into my journal. The Red Rosin Paper that I used is very curly because I'm near the end of the roll. So right now it's not laying flat in the book, but it will relax soon and behave. I LOVE red rosin paper. You can usually find it in the paint section of hardware stores. It's inexpensive and a roll will last you a long time.

TraciBunkers.com-30-days-of-get-your-art-on-102212e

I meant to decorate the spine before I sewed the pages in. But I was so excited to sew them in, I forgot! So I did a little stamping and drawing after I was finished.

TraciBunkers.com-30-days-of-get-your-art-on-102212f

I used a hand-carved stamp that was the perfect size to fit between the stitching. Then I did some drawing on it with Sakura Glaze Pens.

TraciBunkers.com-30-days-of-get-your-art-on-102212g

TraciBunkers.com-30-days-of-get-your-art-on-102212h

I'm excited to start filling it with journal pages, drawings and photos.

A new thing I've been trying lately to spice things up is drawing on my iPad using the Paper app. I'm still getting the hang of it, but I'm having fun. I think I need to get a better stylus though.

TraciBunkers.com_ipad-hand

Here's a drawing of my hand.

TraciBunkers.com_ipad-doodle1

 I also like to do mindless doodles with the app. Since you can "rewind" to undo things, it definitely has advantages over old school drawing. It makes it easy to try something out, then undo it and try something else.

TraciBunkers.com_ipad-doodle2

I love being able to get different effects, like watercolor, markers, pen & pencils. At first I thought I might like some of the other drawing apps better, but they are more complicated. And, I realized the simplicity of the Paper app, made it closer to actually drawing and using watercolor. Since it's simple to use, it's instant gratification without having to learn how to use a complicated program.

TraciBunkers.com_ipad-doodle3

P.S. While I was writing my blog post, I drank some chai tea, to spice things up just a little more.

17 comments:

  1. I love the idea of using Record covers as your journal cover! I see so much great art work on those covers but couldn't find anything to incorporate them into. UNTIL NOW :) Your journal is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! At first I thought it was a little too bright and "clean" (I like grungy stuff that looks like it's been unearthed). But it has grown on me!

      Delete
  2. Hi! Would you please share with us what it is that you love about the Red Rosin paper?
    Thanks.
    -Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's extremely durable. So you can do a lot of layering with paint and collage, and even distress it, and you don't have to worry about it falling apart. And after you've worked on it, it has an interesting texture. It's kind of hard to describe. I like to put a thin layer of gesso on it before I start working.

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Traci. Another question about the Red Rosin paper: do you find that it curls if you only put gesso on one side? In other words, when you gesso the paper do you gesso both sides before you start working/playing with it? -Karen

      Delete
  3. Very cool. I've saved lots of old album covers (after melting the albums and shaping them into this and that) and have often thought about how to incorporate them into a book. I'll have to see if I can find them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been picking them up at my library sale, knowing I'd figure out something fun to use the covers for. And I finally did!

      Delete
  4. Pretty please...take away word verification!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry bohemiannie! art, but without word verification the blog would be overrun with spam comments.

      Delete
  5. I love the journal, but I'm curious what you attached the album cover to. Did you make your own base (including the spine), or was this a commercial product you glued the album covers to?

    After seeing it on this site, I've been enjoying working with Paper, although I haven't as much as I'd like. I bought a nice stylus that makes it more natural to draw, but I still get frustrated with the watercolor brush size. I wish it were possible to control the width of the stroke.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you about the brush size, which is why I thought I might want to use a different app. But after I started looking into them, and watching demo videos, they just seemed too complicated.

      As far as the journal, I made the spine and used canvas boards for the base of the covers. I teach bookmaking workshops, and am going to have some online bookmaking workshops this next year. So watch my blog for info on that if you are interested.

      Delete
  6. wonderful Traci! This journal looks fabulous and your app doodles are great too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This makes me want to make my own journals! Record covers are a beautiful idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used canvas board underneath them as a base. But they are sturdy enough that you could probably make a simple journal with just using the album covers for the journal covers.

      Delete
  8. Ooh, I had never considered red rosin paper for drawing on -- I always associate it with my dad's automobile paint jobs. :-) Your sketches on the iPad make me want to try the Paper app too. Only I have just a phone and no stylus. That might not stop me though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to put a thin layer of gesso on the rosin paper before I work on it. That way if I'm drawing or writing, it's easier to see. Plus I really like gesso.

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.