Thursday, November 1, 2012

November Theme

Hello!  Kari McKnight Holbrook here, and I've been given the honor of choosing this November's theme! 
I've always loved the fall.  It's my favorite season.  So many things happen to make it magical for me.  All my senses seem to go into overdrive! 

I've chosen 'Spice of Life' as November's Flavour of the month. 

I'm thinking literally as well as emotionally.  For me, art is a way to express my emotions without having to spell it out.  A scent, a tint, a flavor, a sound, a crisp bite in the air.  Can we capture that in our sketches somehow?  Or can we capture something visually that activates the other senses memories?
What enhances our lives, adds flavor to our autumn days?

Here is a starter list....
The crunch of colorful leaves underfoot
nutmeg, cinnamon, ginger
The crisp chill in the air
pumpkin pie!
Homecoming queens and their courts
The warmth of a home where bread is baking
College bands at halftime
apples and pumpkins
cornhusk stalks and scarecrows
bittersweet growing wild in the barbed wire fences
high school football in the brisk friday evening air
family gatherings
ruby, brown, tan, orange, golds, pale green
turkeys, pheasants, quail and their beautiful feathers

I spice up my own art routine by giving myself "assignments."  Sometimes to study artists, movements or regions of countries.  Sometimes to explore color.  Sometimes techniques.  Today's images are from my self assignment to further explore Georges Seurat.  I immersed myself in Neo-Impressionism and Pointillism.  I tried collage, watercolor, markers, pencil, my own photos and the computer.  I found it a refreshing side note to some of my usual styles.  I don't think I'll be making a long term habit of the style- as it did seem to give me a bit of eyestrain.

I hope you will take the time to not only enjoy the challenge, but to take a slow moment to savour this time of the year, gather loved ones close and think about blessings and special memories in your own life. I can't wait to see what you all share what spices YOUR life!  One of my memories are my Mom's spice "nerve" cookies.  If you are interested, I share the recipe on my blog today.


The theme for November 2012 is:

Spice of Life

 **************************************************************************
Special Prize Giveaway Announcements for November 2012:

Prize package giveaway from Gelli Arts:


One lucky winner will receive an 8"x10" Gelli Art plate!


Prize Package from Meinke Toy:

one lucky winner will receive a $25 gift certificate to Meinke Toy!


How to be eligible for prize drawings: 
In order to be eligible for one of the November 2012 prize packages you must post at least one photo of a sketchbook page related to the November
 2012 theme to the Sketchbook Challenge Flickr group and you MUST tag one of your photos with the code "nov832".  
 
IMPORTANT INFORMATION REGARDING TAGGING YOUR PHOTOS WITH THE PRIZE CODES:  PLEASE DO NOT TAG MORE THAN ONE PHOTO WITH THE PRIZE TAG - IT DOES NOT INCREASE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING AND IT MAKES IT HARDER AND MORE TEDIOUS TO GENERATE THE WINNING LIST EACH MONTH - THANK YOU!
  

  Post as many photos as you like but only put the special tag on one of them.

Information on how to upload photos to flickr can be found here.

Winners will be chosen by random draw on the last day of November and announced here on the Sketchbook Challenge blog.

3 comments:

  1. Hi, not sure how to find the blog post with the recipe?
    Love the theme!
    Sandy in the UK

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great theme....I can smell it!;)

    Yes....I clicked on your name but didn't see recipe....gotta see a nerve cookie!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry-Blogger was acting a bit 'spicy' this morning and the post didn't go automatically, but it's there now!
    Kari-who now NEEDS a nerve cookie!

    ReplyDelete