Monday, November 26, 2012

Too much stuff? It’s my Spice of Life!

Susan Brubaker Knapp here. Sometimes, I think I have too much stuff in my house. Okay, to be perfectly frank, I know I have too much stuff in my house. Too much clutter, too many collections. But when it comes right down to it, I have to admit that this stuff makes me happy. Stuff comes with memories. Case in point: This is the old-fashioned flour sifter (below) I remember my Mom teaching me how to use when we made cookies together when I was a small child; it has a little crank handle on the side:

I  learned how to use this flour sifter very well. So well, in fact, that when my mother went upstairs to check on my little brother, leaving me alone with the sifter one December when I was about 5, I used it to sift the downstairs to create my own personal snowfall. On the furniture, the carpet, the stereo turntable…. Soon after this incident, my mother decided that I was going to kindergarten a year early. I wonder why?

I don’t need that sifter any more (flour comes pre-sifted these days), but I keep it out in my kitchen, because it reminds me of Mom. And as an artist, I believe that stuff – visual clutter to others – is actually visual stimulation to me. It is my Spice of Life

Here are some sketches of some of the stuff that adds spice to my life. I worked with my Lamy Safari fountain pen, which I absolutely love, and did not work in pencil first. I am trying to sketch more spontaneously by forcing my self to work in ink.


  1. I rarely post a comment here, but couldn't resist. These are absolutely delightful, perhaps because your joy in these things shines through the drawings themselves.

    1. Yes I am 100% agree on you Nan, This blog is really great and you can that the creator loves what he's or she's doing.

  2. Glad to know that others feel the same as I do about the stuff that makes memories!!

  3. Oops! Puts me in mind of why I am known as Starch in my family! When I was VERY small, I watched my Mum make a cornstarch pudding and gave it a try myself- in the nicely worn, bowl-shaped depression in the seat of an antique slipper chair! My Dad rechristened me and it has stuck - and I am OLD now ;-)

  4. You are one amazing artist that continues to inspire me.

  5. Thanks, everyone! I have been thinking a lot this year about my process – how I work – which tends to be with a lot of planning, pencil first, then ink. Tentative, careful. So lately, I have been forcing myself to work more quickly, with less planning. Fast and free! A little scary for me. But there IS a lot of joy in it, Nan. Thanks for the encouragement.

  6. I do not even know how I ended up here, but I thought this post was great. I do not know who you are but definitely you are going to a famous blogger if you are not already ;) Cheers!


Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.