Friday, December 7, 2012

A Treasured Gift

Kristen Laflamne here. My second boyfriend ever, way back when I was entering college, worked summers at a sail-making shop. One day he came over with a gift he had made from scraps lying around.


Using the protective cloth for sail covers, a big grommet, some leather, and the industrial sewing machine, he made me a roll for my paintbrushes that could handle the wet mess of an art studio yet breath enough that my brushes wouldn't mold if I put them away damp.

Brush Roll interior

That was at least 25 years ago and I still use it today! All my brushes live in this roll, and I pull it out of the closet every time I sit down to paint. It's incredibly sturdy and hardly shows any wear. That's a gift any artist could love.


  1. That is a fantastic gift! I made myself a similar one for my needle files (I'm a goldsmith)to protect their pointy ends!

  2. I was just admiring it in your Flickr photostream wondering if you made it yourself. What a fantastic gift and a great story.

  3. I have one of these and love it too, but there is no heart warming story to go with it. What a sweet gift!

  4. This is such a wonderful gift! And, what an amazing story behind it! It looks wonderful and I feel inspired to make one for myself!


Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.