Friday, January 11, 2013

Art Day in the Studio

Jamie Fingal checking in for an Art Day in my Studio.  My daughter gave me this slim hard bound planner that she didn't want anymore, and I thought it would be the perfect size for an art journal.  I usually set aside every Friday to make art that doesn't have a deadline or isn't for something.  But this week, I set aside a couple of hours each day to work on this project.  I began by cutting out some of the pages, and then proceeded to glue 3 pages together, from the beginning to the end of the book.

Then, using white glue, I pasted newspaper cut outs on each page, and in some cases, folding them over the glued together pages.  I used clothes pins to keep the pages together and away from one another to dry.

You can see some of the pages here

Some pages I pasted in graphics from the newspaper to add more interest

Using watercolors, I painted some of the pages.  I love the wet, wrinkled look of the newsprint
Then I added some ephemera from my collections of paper in my studio, and more paint.

Here is are a couple of pages that I started some painting and drawing in.  I am anxious to play with the rest of the pages.  Drawing on newsprint is so fun!

I felt the need to add a shipping label to one page, for a future work of art

I added one of my previous drawings to the right hand lower corner of this page

Ephemera with watercolors and ink.  I am looking forward to going to Starbucks and sitting at one of their tables and filling in the pages with artistic touches.

Here's the front of the book!  I hope this has inspired you to set aside some time to make art!


  1. This makes such a great journal. It inspires me to follow your preparation process. Thank you.

  2. What a great idea. I confess I love to visit your blog and don't comment as much as I should. The inspiration I find here sort of stews and urges me to step out of my comfort zone. Thanks for sharing your work with lurkers like me. :)
    So you started by gluing 3 pages together. Is this to make each new page more sturdy for supporting the added layers?
    Thanks, Kim/SeeingStars

  3. what a great little journal, Jamie!! thanks for the inspiration!

  4. This is an excellent post. Especially the stage by stage pictures. Whilst away over Christmas I had a go at making a holiday journal as each day took place and I nearly managed it. I do have a few pages to complete but it was still use. This is a great way to recycle too.

  5. Yes, I took out some pages here and there, because I knew that building stronger pages, by gluing them together, would make the book more bulky. Matte medium brushed on, makes great glue for the pages. Then the newspaper. I have a nice sturdy journal and I can paint, collage or just draw on the pages.

  6. Wow, what a neat idea. I love it.

  7. I will never look at a monthly planner the same way again!! I have several that I didn't use last year and this is a great way to use them up and make them new again!! Thanks for the inspiration!

    Carmen L

  8. Great idea! Great post! It was very inspiring, thank you!

  9. I never would have thought to use Newspaper. So did you glue newspaper on top of the original pages in the book?? Did you fold the newspaper, or cut it?? I can't quite figure out how you assembled and attached your book usng the newspaper.

  10. I love that you covered the datebook in newsprint. Cool idea!

  11. After I glued groups of pages together and let them dry, I cut the newsprint, large enough, so that I could fold it over the pages, so it would be one page. Then trimmed the top and bottom with a pair of scissors.


Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.