Saturday, February 9, 2013

A "Sweet" Paper & Cloth Love Note

Leslie here.  I love making notecards for Valentine's Day.  As much as I adore receiving any sort of card on that sweet day, there is something about an original card or hand-written note that fills me with joy.
I love combining cloth and paper, plus, these cards are fun and easy to make.  Try it and see for yourself!

For this card I used watercolor paper, cloth that was pre-fused with Mistyfuse, two pens, and my sewing machine and iron.

I began with a large sheet of 140 lb hot press watercolor paper, which has a smoother finish.  This is simply what I had on-hand, and with repeated folding & cutting I was able to create numerous cards from the sheet.  Any type of paper that is 100 lb press or higher will work well.  I love the feel of watercolor paper, both hot and cold press, so it is my preferred "card stock".  One can commonly find "blocks" of pre-cut watercolor postcards in 4x6 or 5x7 sizes.

I used a previously fused piece of red cotton broadcloth.

I folded the cloth and free-cut three hearts
using my wonderful 7" Havel's scissors


The hearts were positioned on the surface of the card

using a dry iron, I fused the hearts in place


I finished the edges with a gray zig-zag stitch


I love using a Pentel Gel Roller Fabric pen for drawing and writing on any sort of cloth.
The micron pen was used on the paper, but could have been used for either.



I think this might need a bit more doodling on the paper surface,
and I may decide to color some of the background with watercolor or markers.

The surface of this card is stable enough to mail as a postcard or slip into an envelope for more protection.  Either way, it is a fast and fun project.  This would be fun to do with a group of kids!



No comments:

Post a Comment