Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Penny Candy

http://gatewaycandy.com

I love it when the Universe presents you with just the thing you need at just the right time. I'm always on the lookout for that kind of serendipity. Right after Desiree announced this month's theme, I saw a commercial for a local CANDY STORE - the old fashioned kind of penny candy store - just up the road a bit from me.


When I arrived I realized it was a dual candy store - candy for the young and young at heart on the right and a liquor store (candy for grownups) - on the left.



To say my experience was like a kid in a candy store doesn't quite describe the situation. I was an artist in a color store! I filled my bag with colors, sizes, shapes and graphics and anything that looked interesting and out of the ordinary - like a Squirrel Nut Zipper.


I was excited to find my childhood favorites, Necco Wafers. I used to buy them at school lunch, put them in my uniform pocket and slip them in my mouth all afternoon when the nuns weren't looking. (Sad to say they no longer taste quite as exciting as I remembered.)

Necco Wafers - Detail with actual wrapper collaged on

Originally I was going to work in a grid, so I prepped my page with some neon pink acrylic paint, toned down with a wash of gesso, using my brush handle to mark the grid. I played around in the upper right corner with a corner of one of my new Cathedral Series stencils from artistcellar. Can't wait to explore that more. Then I decided against the grid and did a layout of the candy on my page and roughly traced around each piece for placement - a nice way to rough something in. 

I finished my sketches of the candies with a plain old #2 pencil and added color with my Caran d'Ache water soluble pencils. (Love those babies!) I get a bit carried away when it comes to color, especially my new favorite neon colors. When the watercolor pencils weren't enough, I used markers.


I was quite tempted to eat the lollipops but after the disappointment of the Necco wafers I figured the memory was better than the empty calories.


I never was a fan of Bit-O-Honey so no temptation there.


I thought I had purchased some of those candy dots on paper but I didn't, so I pulled out my Scribbles 3-D Fabric paint and added a few of my own to the page. Not as tasty perhaps, but just as fun.

What's your favorite childhood candy memory?

PS. Penny candy isn't a penny anymore.

8 comments:

  1. You're right about the wafers they are chalky to an adult I enjoyed walking down memory lane. Now I am going to hunt for a candy store so I can do a journal spread on these yummers too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a fund drawing. It sounds like you had a blast doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what, no chocolate? great page Lesley!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fantastic set of drawings. Thank you for the memories. I remember so many of those candies from when I was a kid.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was a "sucker" for the licorice strips rolled up in a spiral with a candy in the middle!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Licorice pipes! I love that old time bitter licorice. I had forgotten those lollies with the twisted paper, looped handles. Sweet memories, indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing your "sweet" memories everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great page! I don't live far from there!!! Wonderful place!

    ReplyDelete