Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Sweet Colors

Jane Davies here.  I tend to use mostly bright colors and neutrals, and so I thought I'd take this month's theme - Sweets -  as an opportunity to explore "sweet" colors.  What are sweet colors?  PINK!  Of course.  Soft, baby colors - light powder blue, pale green, pastel yellow.  This is my first attempt, and I would not say it was terribly successful.  I ended up with more "hot" pink than sweet pink. However, I did manage to get HEARTS - yes, hearts - into the final pieces, and for me that counts as sweet.

I began by creating two 8"x12" pieces in mostly pinks, with a little light green in there, and (I can't paint without it) quinacradone gold. 



Then I cut each one into four pieces, each 4"x6".  These are to be postcards (takes the pressure off of making "Art").  After that I did something to each one to make it unique.  I did not want these to look like I had just cut up a larger piece and called it good.  I added a heart theme to each of them, this being the valentine season.  This was a stretch for me too, as I rarely use heart icons in my work.




Click here for a video tutorial on this way of making postcards. 

10 comments:

  1. What beautiful artwork! You used some of my favorite colors and the brighter pink just made them that much more cheery. I'm very interested in making postcards and will check out the link. Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, and thanks for the video. I loved seeing in use the clever hand-made stamps with little tabs on back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very pretty! I love the pinks and oranges you used, it really make it pop!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! That's pink, alright. Your video has inspired me. Gotta go make postcards....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, thanks!!! I had fun trying to use colors I don't ordinarily use. Next time I'll try some REALLY sweet colors. DO send postcards! This project has significantly increased volume, so I am going to keep making and sending cards out. Even ones with pink hearts! Enjoy your sweetie or your sweets tomorrow. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What type of paper are you using for the post cards?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like this a whole lot, such sweet colors and the hearts are a perfect touch. . Appropriate to make postcards. ;D

    ReplyDelete
  8. I enjoyed watching your process.

    ReplyDelete