Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Sweets on the go!



Hello, sweeties! Susan Brubaker Knapp here. On Sunday, I’ll embark on my third teaching gig of the year. I feel like I’ve been on a plane or in another town most of the time since 2013 started! As I packed up to depart for Florida last week, I decided that if I was going to be sitting in airports and on planes for hours, I should use that time to sketch. 

Problem is, I often just have airport seating and planes to draw! So… I decided to pack up my subjects and take them with me. I enlarged and printed out photos of subjects I wanted to draw, and packed them up with my sketchbook. It worked wonderfully! The hours slipped away while I sketched some sweets for this month’s challenge. 

The sketch at the top of the post is based on this photo of Valentine’s Day cookies I made recently:


Next, I took on some beautiful meringues (one of my favorite sweets; it seems a miracle that egg whites, sugar, cream of tartar and air can taste so divine!) on a pretty antique plate:


Here’s my sketch of the meringues. I really love the simplicity of black ink on white or cream paper. I’m not sure if I’ll add any color to this or not.

 
And I drew some sweets of the type that I should be eating (peaches, on a beautiful plate):


I love how this sketch came out; the plate looks so lacy!


I did this sketch on the airplane, so to avoid squiggly lines due to turbulence in the air, I drew first in pencil, and then inked once I was on the ground. 


I also sketched what I could see around me at the gate, and out the airport windows, using my Lamy fountain pen. These quick ink sketches have a fun, spontaneous quality I like, and a bit more sense of humor, somehow:


 
If you are on the go, don’t forget that you can take your photos with you, and you’ll always have something interesting to draw!

2 comments:

  1. oh, your sketches are deliciously beautiful! i often work in my journal while traveling but my pages aren't nearly as detailed. thanks for the inspiration - especially before a three-day weekend in which many of us will be traveling, myself included.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have fun, Laurie! This is the first time I've worked this way when I traveled, and it really made sense for me.

      Delete