Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Paperclay Birds


Hi everyone!
Carol Sloan here.

I thought that I would tell you about the Paperclay birds that I made a couple of weeks ago.
I needed a few small birds for a piece of artwork that I was planning. I decided that the easiest thing to do would be to create them myself.
It was easy but potentially addictive.

First I molded the birds by hand out of the "Creative Paperclay".

Plain white birds - like tiny soldiers waiting for their marching orders.


Some of them have perfectly formed eyes & beaks...
others do not.

The largest one is about 1/2" long


I was distracted by several other things (bronchitis and flu to name a couple) so it took me a couple of weeks to get to the next step.

Oh look, someone was watching us! 

I coated the birds with a little bit of Soft Gel to seal them.
Then I used a little bit of acrylic paint in a brown color to rub into the lines on the birds (eyes, wings, etc).
This has to dry completely before you paint the final color.

The bird on the left was created from Crayola Model Magic.
It doesn't firm up the way that Paperclay does.

Sitting there waiting on the next layer of paint.
When the paint has dried completely, I used a small paintbrush to apply the top layer of paint.
Some of them are a cream color, some are brown, some are blue.
This step could be done by finger-painting as well.
Little Bird Family
 I used a tiny bit of orange to paint the beaks.
After all of this had dried, I went back and added more brown to the line work as needed.
If you click on the photos to enlarge them, you will be able to see how the brown paint settled into the uneven surface of the bird.
It creates a lovely antique look to the surface of the bird making them appear to be decades older than what they are.
Made from Paperclay

Mommy is keeping an eye on her babies

See how tiny they are?!
The Paperclay is not expensive at all.
It's a fun and easy activity to do that requires very little materials and not a lot of time.
I'd love to see what surfaces you design with it!

10 comments:

  1. These tiny birds are too sweet! That paper clay looks like old pottery. Inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Denise! They DO look old, don't they?

      Delete
  2. I love these little birds! You did a terrific job with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! They were surprisingly easy too.

      Delete
  3. Oh so sweet and fun! Lori W at Art Camp for Women

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lori! It would be a great little project for Camp. You should have me back and I'll show you how! lol... Thank you for reading and commenting. I really do appreciate each and every comment!

      Delete
  4. I enjoy using paperclay and have made beads and other decorative items with it. Not birds, though. I think I will try one...they look so cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gretchen, you could make these birds into beads! I am using some of the smaller ones to make beads out of. Thank you for visiting our blog and leaving a comment. We LOVE comments!

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thank you Leslie! It was a lot of fun to make them.Like I said, it became addictive...

      Delete