Friday, March 22, 2013

Photoshopping Nature

Terry Grant, here. I am always looking for ways to recreate the textures and random design that Nature is so good at. Now that we can print our own papers and fabrics using technology, I love to play with photos of natural surfaces and bend and twist and recolor them to create new and exciting patterns.

The bark of a big old fir tree offers a wonderful and varied texture. Add Photoshop filters and it becomes something altogether new.

yes, this started out as the fir bark photo

This one is the ground, outside my studio. Bits of bark and pine needles.

 Moss—in great abundance and beautiful in itself

ooh, marbled!

This is a tiled repeat of the previous photo. I am planning to print on fabric, using my inkjet printer. It will also get printed on paper and added to my "collage papers" collection.

Rather than giving exact instructions** for filters and manipulations I used for these, I suggest you play with the filters in Photoshop or Photoshop Elements. Save your original photo first, then try out the different filters. If you don't like the look just "undo" and try something else. You never know exactly what you might end up with! But, I know from experience, that you can entertain yourself for hours on end with a simple "nothing" photograph and Photoshop.

**Because it is so unusual, I will tell you that the 3rd fir bark photo was made using the "texture" filter, choosing "stained glass" in the edition of Photoshop that I am using.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome! I especially loved what you did with the bark! Thanks for sharing Terry!


Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.