Monday, March 11, 2013


IMG_9496Lyric Kinard here. Yes - it's been a very long time since I posted here. But I promise I haven't been neglecting my sketchbook.
Remember way back in 2011 when I wanted to work on drawing faces? They were very hard for me to draw so I had always avoided sketching them. It was time to take my own medicine and just do the work. I did a quick sketch of a face every day for a year.
Some of the results were pretty good, at least better than at the beginning.
About midway through last year I started regularly attending a life drawing session at a local gallery. Models are hired to to pose (nude) and artists come and draw or paint. I'm definitely the beginner in the group but everyone is very friendly and encouraging. I was quite nervous at first - thinking it would feel pretty weird to draw naked people. It totally isn't. And I thought I'd finally post here because there isn't any surface more natural than skin is there?
IMG_2677The first hour or so is filled with one, five, and ten minute poses. These are still my favorites - just warm ups. For some reason I'm able to get proportions down much better when I'm just scribbling away as fast as I can.
IMG_2618The next hour has a few fifteen or twenty minute poses. Then there is at least one 40-60 minute pose with a break in the middle. I'm still frustrated with these but it's a good thing. It shows I need to keep practicing. I have a wonderfully long way to go but am enjoying every step of the process. 
The sketch above is still one of the short poses - the long pose sketches are just a little too naked and detailed for a G-rated blog.  Well - off to another afternoon with my sketchbook and pens!


  1. Kudos to you! I love those quick gestural sketches. The warm up poses are my favorite too when I attend life drawing sessions.

  2. I was never very good at proportions so whenever I take a life drawing class I focus in on just one area and blow it up to fill the paper. They end up looking very much like landscapes. I used to call them bodyscapes.

  3. Life drawing sessions are a truly great way to push your drawing skills forward. I love the box full of faces, Lyric! And I really enjoyed seeing your sketches. Way to go! Thanks for sharing. What is more natural a surface than skin?!

  4. Nu hittade jag hit:) Förstår av vad Du skriver att Du inte är helt nöjd, jag som inte ens kan rita en snygg streckgubbe är ju imponerad.
    Gillar dessa väldigt mycket, sedan förstår att det här är som allt annat i livet man tycker om att göra, man vill lära och kunna mer!

  5. Fast efter att tittat vidare och läst en del så vet jag inte om det är Du som gjort dessa skisser, en massa andra namn som ser ut som om dom puplicerat här:)

  6. "Me too," regarding preference for the shorter, so-called warm-up poses which, once warmed-up can become (for some of us) a very stimulating way to continue working.

    Lyric, I am so impressed with the example you posted of some of your warm-up sketches. What size paper did you do those on?? Were you standing or sitting?? Holding the substrate or using an easel??

    Sometimes when I participate in a life-sketching session I treat the longer poses like shorter poses by moving around the room to get different perspectives/views of the model, spending 5-minutes or so from each vantage point during a 30-minute pose. This approach only works when the room is large enough for me to move around without getting in the way of, or becoming a distraction to the other artists.

    Another thing I do to accommodate my preference for quick, energetic sketches is to stay in one place (like everyone else in the room is doing) but, instead of working on one drawing for the entire period I vary my medium, and create many drawings during the period in which others are elaborating just one. It helps to arrive with my materials already organized so that I don't disturb my fellow artists with my transitions between media. During an hour-long pose, for example, I might do three quick sketches with different drawing media on different types and tones of paper, and then move on to quick sketches with watercolor. Another way that I give myself variety during the long poses is to vary between full-body and close-ups of parts of the body such as face, hands, feet.

  7. Those are terrific short-pose sketches. Somehow, as you say, they do always seem to come right rather than those we work on for an hour.

  8. Lyric - I am so glad you said you thought it would be weird to draw naked people - I thought everyone else but me was fine with it!!! Love the quick pose sketches. This is definitely something I have to try this year.


Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.