Monday, March 25, 2013

Video Tutorial - Natural Surfaces

Natural Surfaces - ROCKS

Hi, Dion Dior here, I've been loving the March theme "Natural Surfaces".  I've been playing around with all sorts of ideas and mediums and thought I'd share my little video tutorial where I give you a few tips on capturing rocks in your watercolor sketchbook.


Natural Surfaces - ROCKS

In this free video tutorial, I use the new Stillman & Birn Zeta Series Sketchbook, Sakura Koi Water Colors, Faber-Castell Water Color Pencils, and the Koh-I-Noor Rapidograph and Nexus pens. I show you that capturing the natural surfaces of rocks is a very simple technique that can be used for all sorts of surfaces.  A light wash is followed by some darker layering and then simple pen strokes--it's that easy.

Sketchbook Secrets - Rocks from Dion Dior on Vimeo.


Have fun, and don't forget to post your sketchbook pages in the Flickr group.

Natural Surfaces - ROCKS



Natural Surfaces - ROCKS

Thanks for checking in. xx


9 comments:

  1. Thank you for the tutorial. You gave us very clear instructions and explanations. I enjoy following your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for watching Kayshine, I'm glad you enjoyed it. Hugs xx

      Delete
  2. thank you Dion Dior, that was a wonderful tutorial. I look forward to giving it a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed it Tammie, thanks for watching. xx

      Delete
  3. love watching you paint with watercolors. I will definitely go outside when the weather gets nice and sketch. Thanks for your instructions - you are very inspiring. {:-Deb

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Deb, thanks for your note. I'm so glad spring is almost here, I love painting outside. Hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. One gem I got from this video is that high contrast (black) should be used very sparingly in this type of composition. You used Payne's Grey to tone down the rock colors for shadow effects, and only used black in the splatter, where a little goes a long way. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, and black also as a very fine broken line with the Rapidograph.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Dion. I thank you very much for your tutorial. I loved it very much. It's very clear and helpful. I followed it and applied it and I am quite satisfied with the result. Thank you so much for sharing, it helps.

    ReplyDelete