Thursday, April 11, 2013

Paper to Paint to Spiral to Spring Flowers!

Hi! It's Deborah. I am so happy that spring has finally arrived in Maryland. I was also really excited about our spiral theme for this month. With spring and spirals in mind, I had a blast playing in my sketchbook and creating some fun little flowers.

First, I just sloshed water colors on three pages in my sketchbook -- fronts and backs of each page.

Then I played around adding some details and patterns.

I enjoyed exploring how the paint flowed over wet and dry areas of the paper.

I ended up with three colorful pages.

I cut circles from the pages.

Then cut each circle into a spiral. I think the width of the "strip" is about half an inch. But this project can be created with much bigger or smaller circles. You should experiment! (Of course, you could even work with plain paper, no need for paint.) I left a small "circle tab" at the center.

Beginning at the outside edge, I just rolled up the strip, keeping the inside edge even and letting the outside (top) edge naturally flair out. I dabbed some hot glue on the circle tab and pressed the wound up edges into the glue. Ta Da!

This one is my favorite.

I grabbed a branch from our back yard and hot glued the blossoms to each little twig.

Totally springy, right? Definitely some good spiral fun!

I think I first learned this spiral flower technique from Betz White's blog where she created a beautifully pomander using felt rather than paper. You can find tutorials for the technique all over the crafty blogosphere.


  1. Really pretty...thanks. Those were just those watercolor paints? Very nice.

    1. Yes... cheap Crayola watercolors! I bought a brand new box as you can see in the first picture.

  2. This is really adorable. What a great idea.

  3. Cute! I could see cutting up sketchbook pages that you just don't like too -- giving them a springy rebirth. :-)

  4. These flowers look so cute. I'm going to make my own spring branch with my daughter.

  5. I love that! Very clever and so spring-y!

  6. Lovely! I too am enjoying this months theme :)

  7. This is really cute. I might have to give it a try. It could even give new life to the photos that I've taken that turn out too blurry or otherwise incorrectly exposed. :)

  8. What a great project! I love the simple idea made into something quite remarkable! Wow!


Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.